Boeing's Advanced Technology Programs (ATP) is a business unit within Boeing Defense, Space and Security that provides creative solutions to undersea systems problems. ATP is the Boeing center of excellence in undersea systems engineering, undersea structures, Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (UUV) guidance/navigation, user interface and embedded software development for command & control. ATP performs a full range of systems integration and testing and is headquartered in Huntington Beach, CA.
ATP is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer (Mechanisms) (Level 3) to support the development of subsea mechanical systems including structures, robotic mechanisms, electro-mechanical & hydraulic powered actuation systems for Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs), Payloads, and associated equipment. In this role for mechanisms, the engineer will be focused on developing system requirements and designs for underwater door actuations, retract/extend mechanisms, motors, actuators and controllers.
- Assist in the generation of detailed designs & performance of detailed structural analysis and will communicate the information to the lead engineer.
- Assist in subsea material selection, mechanism design and structures design. Assist with the integration & testing the mechanical systems.
- Assist with resolving issues & provide innovative solutions to challenges in the subsea environment.
Additional roles and responsibilities of the position may include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation of analysis/engineering gate review packages,
- Analyze customer/system requirements to develop basic architectural approaches/detailed specifications for various products,
- Develop high-level, detailed designs consistent with requirements/specifications. Validate designs through various methods of review/test/analysis.
- Support supplier management with make/buy recommendations and other technical services of limited scope.
- Provide engineering support throughout the lifecycle of the product.
- Investigate emerging technologies to develop concepts for future product designs to meet projected requirements.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Relocation Assistance Available
No. Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 5 or more years' experience or a Master's degree with 3 years' experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
- This position requires the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship.
- Experience designing/developing mechanisms (ie. motors, actuators, controllers, etc.).
- Experience in MS Office toolset.
- Experience in Solid modeling, drawing generation required.
- Experience in CATIA V5, Unigraphics NX, and Team Center is a plus.
- Education and/or work experience do you have with undersea/underwater systems
- BS in Mechanical Engineering