- Engility is looking for a highly skilled and broad knowledge based Ground Systems Engineer to support a critical customer program by evaluating total ground solutions for new systems and the supporting ground infrastructure.
- This position is vital to the success of the program and provides tremendous opportunity for technical leadership as a contractor. The successful candidate will be the contractor primary lead for ground systems integration of one or more systems currently in development.
- The Ground Systems Engineer will evaluate all aspects of the Ground System from Concept of Operations (ConOps), ground requirements, system specifications, interface control documents, change request processes and review boards, ground architecture, networks, security, integration, ground verification test, enterprise validation test, system discrepancy reports, operations, maintenance and procedures.
- The program requires a total end to end spectrum of skills for a large development program. The engineer may not possess deep knowledge in all areas but is expected to grow his expertise into the overall ground architecture. The engineer’s responsibilities include identifying potential areas of concern on any aspects of the overall development and deployment of the ground system…from acquisition, integration, test and operations.
- Work as a Ground System Engineer as part of a top-notch Systems Engineering and Technical Assistance (SETA) team
- Provide Ground Systems Engineering expertise to customer program office and collaborate with other engineers on the SETA and contractor teams
- Develop ConOps on how the system will operate
- Develop ground and enterprise requirements based on ConOps
- Evaluate ground architecture and determine required network interface and communication needs
- Evaluate radio frequency (RF) communication needs such as frequency coordination and spectrum usage
- Evaluate RF antenna and communication systems
- Evaluate Data Processing systems
- Evaluation Mission Management systems
- Evaluate Mission Tracking systems
- Evaluate Product Quality systems
- Evaluate security architecture
- Evaluate external interfaces
- Evaluate system discrepancy reporting
- Review and author Ground Change Requests (GCRs) or Requests for Change (RFCs)
- Evaluate Ground Hardware and Software Acquisition and Test Strategies
- Review program for technical risks and recommend mitigation approaches
- Participate as a reviewer in working groups, engineering review boards, design reviews, test readiness reviews, operational readiness reviews, etc.
- Office based with SETA team in Chantilly, VA with occasional local travel in the Washington metro area and potential infrequent travel to Colorado
- In-depth understanding of Ground Systems Engineering discipline
- Ability to identify system impacts and pitfalls associated with operational ground systems
- Program lifecycle experience from concept development and design to deployment and operational maintenance
- Experience across multiple engineering disciplines to include: systems engineering, software development, and integration and test
- Experience with requirements development, interface control documentation, technical specification review, architecture and CONOPS development
- Experience with mission integration, data processing and external interface management
- Working proficiency using MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), MS Outlook, MS Project
- Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering discipline, Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum 14 years of related engineering experience on overhead programs
- Active TS/SCI and CI polygraph clearance required
- Familiarity with J-SMART RFC tool
- Familiarity with RFC/GCR/ECR/MCR ERB processes
- Operational experience with Command & Control and Mission Management of systems
- Operations and Maintenance (O&M) experience with ground and network systems