$100K — $150K *
Mid-Level Network Engineer
Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen
Estimated duration of 18 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Some travel may be required.
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Network Engineer IV
We are seeking a Network Engineer in support of Jet Propulsion Laboratory, to provide institutional and flight customers with advanced networking solutions and support. As a Network Engineer you will resolve one-off application and hardware integration issues, gather application requirements, implement standards, make best-practice recommendations, and find resolutions to complex issues, to and including mission critical systems resilient network connectivity within campus, and our business partners.
• Plans, designs, develops, and implements network engineering plans for wide-scale WAN / LAN firewall security schemes for customers;
• Provides advanced knowledge in field in all customer interaction situations to resolve highly complex problems including receipt of specifications, design, test, and response to service requests;
• Performs network systems engineering including performance analysis, maintainability analysis, capacity analysis, and reliability analysis;
• Establishes contingency plans and anomaly resolution plans for complex computer networks;
• Debugs and tests firewalls, plans projects, and performs needs assessments;
• Prepares and oversees cost/benefit estimates, presentations, negotiations, installation, problem resolution, and multi-vendor product integration;
• May provide initial implementation support of networks to assure proper execution and provides resolution for system failures or degradation;
• Forecasts network needs and works with other information systems areas to develop policies and procedures to resolve the most complex and unique technical problems;
• Negotiates system requirements with users and resolves complex problem;
• Performs highly complex root cause analysis;
• Defines systems requirements and resolves highly complex problems;
• Implements networks and/or network applications;
• Applies highly complex network tools and performs analysis of various network technologies and network research;
• Provides problem and incident investigation and recommends resolution for highly complex problems;
• Performs complex and wide-ranging job functions and activities across disciplines;
• Work is evaluated upon completion to ensure objectives and institutional goals have been met;
• Regular use of creativity and innovation to address critical issues;
• Analysis of situation or data requires identification, review and interpretation of highly complex factors as well as decisions as to policies, procedures and practices;
• Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions;
• Interactions normally involve presenting, validating and analyzing complex information;
• Initiates interaction with colleagues or functional partners outside own organization on a frequent basis;
• Frequent interaction with vendors, industry partners and other NASA centers;
• Serves as an essential team member on teams inside or outside organization, project, activity or function.
• Must be a US Citizen
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
• 5+ years of experience in firewall installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting;
• 5+ years of experience in Network installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting;
• Practical knowledge of protocols OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, MPLS, VRF, IPSEC, QOS, DNS, VTP, Broadcast, Multicast and GRE;
• Practical working knowledge of Juniper, Cisco, F5, Pulse Secure and Palo Alto
• Practical working knowledge virtual chassis technology, mc lag, VPC, VDC, and VSS
• Practical working knowledge of cloud (AWS and Azure) networking and interconnects (transit gate, direct connect, vpc peering)
• Understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in network and communications engineering;
• Working knowledge with various Layer 2 interconnect technologies, including but not limited to L2VPN and EVPN/VXLAN.
• Knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards for firewalls, WANs and LANs and telecommunication interfaces, with a working knowledge of network security and network security practices, support of a Security Operations Center, network switch and routing protocols, familiarity of network services applications;
• Ability to perform problem identification, reporting, and resolution of task;
• Knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in Virtual Private Networks;
• Working knowledge of NAC 802.1x, and Certificate base authentications deployments;
• Experience with designing high traffic networks and security practices for Data Center Networks, which includes security, traffic engineering, network redundancy, and disaster recovery;
• Multidisciplinary knowledge regularly used in the application and development of advanced principles, theories and concepts in network engineering and operations;
• Experience with network automation via a programming language;
• Current Cisco Certified Network Professional Certification or Juniper Networks Certified Internet professional
• Working knowledge of a programming language like Python, Shell, Bash, Perl, Java, API, Ansible, JSON, SOAP, Ruby, or REST;
• Extensive experience gathering requirements from different business units, stakeholders and engineering teams;
• Recent experience in systems engineering applied to computing or network architectures;
• Achievement in developing breakthrough solutions to challenging technical problems;
• Cross-functional Network Project Management experience a plus.
Number of positions
Valid through: 8/19/2020