DEA’s Tacoma, WA office is currently seeking a Mid-Level Civil Engineer for our Rail Group. The role of the Mid-Level Civil Engineer is to provide engineering, design, and observation activities related to freight and transit rail projects. These activities will occur both in the office and on project sites. Because we serve freight and transit rail clients on projects across the western United States, some travel may be required. Additional duties include, but are not limited to:
- Design of track and railroad/transit facilities.
- Design of grading, drainage, utilities, access roads and at-grade crossings, including related permitting.
- Preparation of design details, schematics, and engineering specifications.
- Coordination with other project disciplines including structural, architectural, geotechnical, surveying, and other aspects of a project.
- Preparation of quantity and cost estimates.
- Limited field observation on project sites before, during, and after construction.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- 7+ years of civil engineeringexperience, with freight railroad, passenger railroad or transit rail design experiencerequired.
- Experience with freight railroad or transit design standards, methods and practices required.
- Experience using Microstation and/or AutoCAD software and INROADS, INRAIL, GEOPAK, or Civil 3D design softwares.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team setting. Must also have the ability to work on fast-paced, dynamic projects
- Ability to travel on a limited basis, up to 25% of the time at intervals during a project duration.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to pass a railroad security background check, and FRA Railway Work drug test.
- A valid driver’s license.
Professional Engineering License
Master’s degree in Civil Engineering
Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
401k and Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP)
Flexible 9/80 (every other Friday off) work schedule
Rail Planning and Engineering Jobs with DEA
DEA provides our railroad and transit clients with proven experience in planning, design and engineering, surveying, 3-D scanning, and construction oversight for a wide range of rail projects. Our rail design professionals have the technical expertise to develop successful system-wide rail projects for both freight and passenger rail systems. We work directly with transit agencies, Class I railroads, short line railroads, industrial clients, ports, and highway agencies to assist with the ongoing and ever-increasing demand to move freight, people, and cargo safely and more efficiently. Our in-house structural engineers, civil engineers, transportation planners and engineers, environmental specialists, and surveyors work together to develop cost-effective and constructible design solutions for our clients.
DEA Inc. is proud to be an AA/EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to characteristics protected by applicable local, state or federal law, such as race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Job Code: 1610