Purpose of the Mgr. Sr., Network Management Systems Position: Provide management and oversight and technical guidance, direction plans, organizes, assigns, and evaluates the work of team members involved in the operation, administration and maintenance of computer application software and hardware, computer operations, computer network support, and intranet/internet.
Essential Duties of Position: Responsible for hiring, leading, developing and managing the performance by those reporting to this position, establishes and communicates clear performance expectations, and makes recommendations for salary increases. Sets the tone for continuing training requirements of key individuals to ensure that the team is prepared to take full advantage of key advances in the technologies used by the company to improve and add new services for our customers. Provide timely annual performance reviews to all direct reports, and ensure that all employees within the department receive annual performance reviews on time. Responsible for team results and recommends and /or approves promotions, demotions, transfers or disciplinary actions up to and including termination. Maintains union free workforce through effective communication and regular feedback to employees regarding their performance against expectations, and use of effective performance recognition of groups involved.
- Setup and manage documentation process to ensure that all systems are fully documented and kept current.
- Ensure that emergency recovery procedures are developed and implemented for all assigned systems.
- Ensure maintenance plans are developed and implemented for all assigned systems.
- Responsible for ensuring all systems are properly licensed and licenses are updated in a timely manner.
- Manage all work schedules.
- Ensure sufficient coverage to accommodate team member vacation plans and illness.
- Build operational on-call model to cover all platforms of responsibility 24x7x365
- Responsible for annual operating and capital budget development and manage under department guidelines.
- Ensure that staff properly codes labor and material costs properly.
- Ensure that all expenses do not exceed annual budget.
Support Contracts: 10%
- Ensure software and hardware contracts are in place for all systems, as needed.
- Continually evaluate the need for hardware and software contracts. Eliminate those contracts that no longer provide value.
Life Cycle Management: 10%
- Develop and implement a life cycle management plan for all hardware and software systems.
- Identify all hardware and software annually that require upgrades and/or replacement.
- Identify and recommend replacement software that meets and exceeds existing requirements with the same or lower TCO.
- Design and implement system application security policies and participate in all company security initiatives.
- Ensure that all software and hardware systems meet or exceed define security standards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of the telecommunications industry with demonstrated application of applying this knowledge to the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of the company’s network.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with a wide variety of complex telecommunication systems and equipment; particularly the specific equipment and configurations used in a telecommunications network.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Word and Outlook applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent communication abilities. Must be able to discuss and work technical issues with other business units, employees, customers and other telecommunications partners and competitors.
- Good understanding of KQI and KPI hierarchy associated with service model development.
- Experience in developing and implementing end-to-end service assurance models for one or more of the mentioned technologies.
- Hands on experience working with the Network Operations Center/ Technical Assistance Center for a major telecom carrier.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Coaching ability to act as a positive mentor and coach to direct and indirect reports and other employees.
- Ability to manage performance, motivation and counseling of different levels of employees in a highly technical environment.
- Ability to lead a technical organization to high levels of performance while maintaining a positive, collaborative level of morale and personal growth for employees.
- Ability to create a work environment that maximizes individual contributions and maintains a culture of continuous improvement.
- Must have experience successfully leading complex technical engagements and teams, throughout the project lifecycle, with team sizes ranging from 10-25 resources.
- Strong ability to analyze problems and technical situations to determine the correct course of action. Ability to coach subordinates in analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and maintain accountability and security of company assets and confidentiality of proprietary information.
- Communication Protocols
- Demonstrated knowledge of the various communication protocols used to exchange data between NMS systems and network elements.
- SNMP versions 1 / 2c / 3
- HTTP versions 1 / 2
- Demonstrated knowledge of a variety Layer 1/2/3 systems such as:
- Internet Protocols (TCP/UDdp)
- Satellite Transmission Systems
- Frame Relay
- Systems / Network Security
- Demonstrated knowledge of IP network security.
- Demonstrated knowledge of server / workstation security running Microsoft Windows, Linux or Solaris.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various virtualization technologies.
Years of Experience required fot the Mgr. Sr., Network Management Systems position:
- Ten years experience in positions of increasing responsibility working for a Telecommunications Provider as a Network Management Systems Manager, Network Management Systems (NMS) Engineer or Senior Network Management Systems Administrator.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Telecommunications, Electronic Engineering or computer science or related field required.
- Education or a combination of education and or experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis
- Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education.
- One or more of the following certifications are highly valued.
- RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE).
- Sun Certified System Administrator (SCSA)..