The RF Performance Engineering Manager manages a team of engineers responsible for Radio Frequency (RF) performance, engineering, traffic engineering and capacity analysis for GCI's LTE/UMTS/GSM/CDMA/Wi-Fi networks. Responsible to coordinate activities, assigns projects and monitors results for both professional and support staff. Develops and executes management policies. Assures that work performed follows generally stated objectives and is completed on time within budget.
Position's Customer(s): All GCI business units/ departments, subsidiaries, vendors and external customers, as required.
Essential Duties of Position: This position requires to:
- Fully own the mission, goals, operations, and results of the department. This responsibility is non-delegable.
- Provide strong leadership to the Director's management team and direct and indirect reports. This includes generating enthusiasm and shared commitment; identifying and setting new directions; teaching, growing, and empowering; owning outcomes; and leading by example. This responsibility is non-delegable. Specific leadership duties include:
- Establishing the vision and tone for the department, consistent with company culture and mission;
- Establishing clear goals and performance expectations.
- Hiring individuals who can accomplish those goals and meet those expectations, and providing them the open communications, training, tools, and mentoring they need to be successful and develop professionally, and a development path commensurate with capabilities and potential.
- Providing clear and accurate feedback to individuals and teams on a timely and consistent basis. Identifying and addressing performance problems early and effectively before they damage GCI's interests and demoralize other employees. These processes include annual performance reviews, compensation adjustments, promotions, demotions, transfers, and disciplinary actions up to and including termination.
- Provide managerial and technical leadership and guidance for the growth, and operational maintainability. Oversee and implement highest quality best practices initiatives for the market to drive network performance improvement, lower network driven churn, and improve customer satisfaction. Responsible for ensuring the proper roll-out of new technologies within the network.
- Ensure Wireless Performance team completes the following activities on time and within budget:
- RF traffic and capacity analysis and forecasted usage.
- Tier 3 support for customer complaints related to network issues
- Network Audits, RF parameter standardization and optimization for better network performance.
- Vendor interaction for parameter and feature requirements and testing.
- Work closely with managers and project team members from other functional groups to assess/meet department and corporate goals and for maintaining the T3 expertise level within the group. Responsible for hiring, leading, developing and managing the performance by those reporting to this position; establishes and communicates clear performance expectations, makes recommendations for salary increases. Provide timely annual performance reviews to all direct reports and ensure that all employees within the department receive annual performance reviews on time. Responsible for team results and recommends and /or approves promotions, demotions, transfers or disciplinary actions up to and including termination. Maintains union free workforce through effective communication and regular feedback to employees regarding their performance against expectations and use of effective performance recognition of groups involved.
- Assist in oversight of project capital budgets ensuring efficient use of capital and resources. Engages the RF engineers in performance, KPI targets meeting company established goals and objectives. Remains current with industry trends and technologies.
- Develop and manage budgets meeting annual EBITDAS goals and the company's long term business strategy.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Leadership Proven ability to lead a team to high levels of performance while maintaining morale and personal growth for employees in a union free environment. Ability to act as a positive mentor and coach to subordinates and instill a coaching environment in the organization. Ability to lead and drive performance improvement/success in the network.
- Financial skills Ability to manage and support detailed capital and operating budgets for the department. Familiar with reporting and tracking tools necessary to assure budget guidelines meet expectations.
- Analytical skills Demonstrated ability to analyze complex challenging problems and situations leading to optimal solutions. Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Organizational skills Ability to develop the organization necessary to meet the group mission and to communicate and interact with other business units within the company.
- Communications skills Excellent verbal and written communication required. Must be able to articulate information in presentation format in front of internal and external customers. Proven ability to communicate complex technical ideas both verbally and in writing and ability to effectively communicate technical issues internally and externally achieving the corporate goals
- People skills Demonstrated ability to manage performance through motivation and counseling of different levels of employees. The ability to work with diverse individuals from multiple professional disciplines in support of a common goal with the ability to reason logically.
- Demonstrated ability to develop processes around feature implementation and testing.
- The ability to manage requirements for technical personnel, training, budgeting, human resources and working conditions
- Comprehensive knowledge of UMTS and LTE (RAN) networks.
- Demonstrated Knowledge of Network Performance peg counts and formulas.
- Must have demonstrated Ericsson LTE equipment experience
- Nortel CDMA experience highly desired
- Minimum of seven years of professional engineering experience to include five years RF Network Performance Engineering and two years of supervisory/managerial experience.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering required.
- Master's and/or PhD degrees in Engineering will substitute for year for year of professional Engineering experience, respectively.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and may contribute toward education.