Establishes, directs and monitors all in plant food safety, quality and sanitation procedures. To include but not limited to controls of incoming material, track and trending consumer complaints, partnering with plant functions to ensure compliance with corporate lead initiatives, oversees conformance with regulatory, third-party and customer requirements.
This position reports to the Corporate Quality. This position receives broad guidelines and sets priorities for self and staff.
- Develop and maintain Food Safety & Quality Assurance programs including, but not limited to: Formula Control, Allergen Control, Non-Conforming, Recall, Sanitation Effectiveness, Environmental Monitoring Organic, Pest Control and Food Safety Plans.
- Manage, develop, coach and mentor Quality Assurance and Sanitation leaders/supervisors.
- Support Baked Goods division and corporate quality goals. Including implementation and compliance of initiatives at the facility.
- Identify necessary professional and technical training for food safety and quality staff.
- Ensure plant procedures are implemented to enhance Raw/RTE product separation including but not limited to: traffic patterns for employees, supplies, and equipment. Physical separations, employee identification, employee uniforms are in place.
- Ensure maintenance of and compliance to the Food Safety plan including preventive controls. Including verification, deviation tracking and annual validation of the plan.
- Support validated lethality process work and ongoing validation as a process preventive control as part of the Food Safety Plan.
- Maintains Quality Module and Inspection Characteristics in SAP system, assuring new workflows are executed timely and accurately.
- Ensure dynamic relationship with company identified vendors including chemical and pest control providers.
- Establish plant operating and capital budgets for quality. Responsible for identifying projects that impact quality and food safety and are part of the facility capital plan.
- Assure implementation and utilization of SPC system, including Infinity QS, which will allow for real time process control and data driven decision making by operators.
- Manage consumer complaints, establish trending, implement corrective actions and respond appropriately to all investigation requests.
- Manage quality incidents and establish corrective actions utilizing Simple Root Cause (SRC) and RCA tools.
- Support implementation of and ongoing execution of TMOS (Treehouse Management Operating Structure) and Treehouse 2020 initiatives.
- Serve as facility regulatory lead on interaction with Local, State and FDA authority.
- Manage Hygienic Restorations events including corrective actions, effect on production, disposition of finished product and startup requirements.
- Assure implementation and compliance of TreeHouse policies and procedures.
- Implement TreeHouse weight control policy and other cost saving initiatives.
- Lead, support and maintain facility GFSI Certification (SQF).
- Lead, support and maintain facility Kosher and RSPO certifications.
- Effectively interface with internal stakeholders; Sales, Marketing and Commercialization team.
- Support needs of external customers as needed.
- Interface and support R&D initiatives to ensure commercialization aligns with plant capabilities.
- Ensure compliance with standard food industry and TreeHouse Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's).
- Other duties/assignments as requested by supervisor/management.
Contributes to team effort by performing other assigned duties as needed. Maintains cooperative relationship with coworkers and management by communicating necessary information, responding to requests, building rapport; and participating in problem solving methods.
Essential knowledge, skills, abilities and experience:
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in technical studies such as chemistry, or food services or equivalent experience in quality.
- Five years' quality assurance experience with 1-2 years demonstrated leadership ability.
- Must possess understanding of statistical analysis, precision measurement, process capability studies, chemistry, and food processes.
- Understanding and ability to use computer applications.
- Superior interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to be flexible and manage change.
- Excellent reasoning abilities. Sound judgment. Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed and complex written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving abstract variables in nonstandardized situations.
- Ability to read and write in-depth policies, procedures and related materials.
- Resourceful, detail oriented, well organized with project management skills.
- Participative management style—advocate of team concept.
- Results and task oriented but have ability keep quality standards as first priority and to balance people considerations.
- Ability to maintain the highly confidential nature of product process and employee privacy information.
- Follows and enforces standards for food safety and food quality production reflected in SQF.
- Physical demands and Work Conditions: The characteristics described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is in office and plant environment.
- Ability to work under stress.
- Ability to walk short distances within the office and plant.
- Ability to read, sees, hear, have clear speech.
- Ability to have hand dexterity to work on computers and clerical work.
- Ability to work off hours to address production and personnel issues.