General Purpose of Job:
Provides leadership to the mechanical group and is an effective voice in shaping the future of the department. Leads, plans, directs, and manages Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning/Refrigeration and Plumbing activities for Sparrow Health System.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Manage maintenance operations, upgrades, and replacement of equipment for heating, ventilation, air conditioning/refrigeration systems and Central Sterile Supply for all applications in healthcare setting. Includes large tonnage/high voltage equipment.
- Manage HVAC/R & Plumbing systems and components to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Manager and provide direction to all HVAC/R & Plumbing skilled trade associates in daily work activities with emphasis on safety, system operations, and equipment load cycle for cost containment.
- Manage and oversee daily operations related to skilled trade team in record keeping, building management systems and documentation for TJC, AOA, EPA, and DEQ.
- Manage, plan and provide recommendations on HVAC/R & Plumbing system improvements for capital upgrades and new building additions or renovation projects.
- Manage and coordinate HVAC/R & Plumbing activities with other trade areas within Engineering and contractors.
- Provides advisory skills to Caregivers to enable optimum performance with high emphasis on customer service/satisfaction.
- Manages operational expenses and provides input in planning for new capital investments.
- Participates in On-Call Program for Engineering.
- Provides deep understanding and insight into the mechanical services needs of today's complex clinical teaching and research institutions and the contemporary workforce. Direct and lead staff within a collegial environment promoting a positive work environment.
- Streamline procedures and promote increased productivity while accomplishing objectives in a timely fashion.
- Interacts effectively with diverse constituencies and enhances involvement in facilities and service policy decisions among business units through participation and partnership.
- Mobilizes human, technical and financial resources to develop and world class mechanical services program for the organization.
Required Responsibilities of the Caregiver:
- Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures.
- Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior (Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
- Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our caregivers, patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is inclusive, welcoming and respectful.
- Adheres to established best practices (i.e. Rounding, Thank You Notes, AIDET, etc.).
- Demonstrates commitment to safety by establishing an environment in which safety issues are promptly reported and appropriate actions are taken.
- Adheres to policies and procedures designed to avoid, prevent and reduce the spread of communicable diseases.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field and minimum or 4 years' experience in HVAC/R and Plumbing specifications and equipment installation/operations.
- Associate's Degree in a mechanical services field and 8 years of experience in HVAC/R and Plumbing specifications and equipment installation/operations.
License / Certification:
- Valid Driver's License
- Minimum 4 years leadership experience with mechanical services.
- Minimum 4 years' experience in HVAC/R & Plumbing design and equipment installation/operations.
- Previous experience in overseeing HVAC/R and Plumbing systems within a healthcare setting operating centrifugal chillers/cooling towers & air-cooled equipment.
- Technical competence in facilities related issues involving Joint Commission