The Laboratory Manager – Serology supports the technical director and supervisors with management of department operations. He/she also oversees a variety of projects. These projects can be assigned by the Director of Serology or Director of Laboratory Operations. Projects involve, but are not limited to the following areas: (1) new test offerings, (2) new test platforms, (3) staffing levels, and (4) space planning. The incumbent actively supports and complies with all company and departmental policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assists supervisors with the development and on-going maintenance of electronic and controlled copies of standard operating procedures (SOPs) using the format established by the company to meet accreditation and licensing requirements.
2. Assists supervisors with the development and on-going maintenance of electronic and controlled copies of validations using the format established by the company to meet accreditation and licensing requirements.
3. Assists with the justification, selection, retention, evaluation and training of qualified laboratory personnel.
4. Responsible for compliance with department and company Quality Assurance and Quality Control programs. Monitors all quality metrics and ensures that corrective actions are documented and implemented.
5. Ensures timely completion and review of department proficiency surveys; also ensures review and investigation of survey nonconformances.
6. Assist with all activities associated with implementation of Best Practice Team, Clinical Franchise, and standardization initiatives.
7. Responsible for recommendation, purchase, and evaluation of capital equipment and assists in the preparation of the annual budget
8. Prepares a monthly report as needed to the Technical and Lab Operations Directors detailing departmental activities, revenues, expenses, and quality improvement projects.
9. Attends laboratory management meetings (e.g., CSMT, TLO, etc.) and informs department of pertinent information.
10. Responsible for working with the Database Department to ensure that all database elements (e.g., TAT, setup schedule, specimen requirements, report messages, reflex criteria, etc.) and test directory information are accurate and up-to-date for all department assays and consistent with SOPs and department practice.
11. Responsible for working with the IT Department to ensure that all LIS elements (e.g., interface, programmed report messages, reflex criteria, state reportable, etc.) are programmed and tested for appropriate department assays and consistent with SOPs and department practice.
12. Responsible for maintenance of good client relations; is responsive to all internal and external customer inquiries and ensures that they are resolved or addressed.
13. Ensures efficient operation of the department to maximize labor and equipment utilization and continuous workflow.
14. Plans and reviews department results and operations on an on-going basis to determine areas for improvement. Actively participates in and supports the department and company Quest Operating Model and Quest Management System initiatives.
15. Actively supports and complies with laboratory policies and procedures.
16. Responsible for developing, recommending, endorsing and reviewing test methods to include validation, documentation and installation of test systems for all tests.
16. Ensures problem/corrected reports are minimized and strives for zero defects.
17. Promotes continuing education programs.
18. Adheres to all established laboratory safety requirements. Responsible for safety of personnel.
19. Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
20. Performs other job-related duties as assigned by competent authority.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
BS or M.S. in appropriate clinical or applied science, six (6) years of clinical laboratory experience with prior supervisory experience. Experience in the following serological techniques is desired: Indirect Immunofluorescent Assays (IFA), EIA/ELISA, Agglutination, Immunodiffusion, Immunoblot, and Chemiluminescent Immunoassays. Complete and thorough knowledge of all pertinent regulatory and certification requirements required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Broad knowledge of technical aspects of the infectious disease and autoimmune disease testing performed and equipment utilized by the department under his/her supervision.
Ability to stay abreast of the latest innovations in test methodologies pertaining to the department of supervision.
Ability to develop and/or direct the implementation of new and improved laboratory tests.
Sufficient administrative and management skills to direct, control and plan the activities of departmental personnel.
Above average written and verbal communication skills.
Required to handle biological samples and potentially hazardous chemicals.
How To Apply
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact candidates to be interviewed
REQ # 3778204