Grainger has an exciting opportunity in our Kansas City Distribution Center. This is a great opportunity to lead a growing team in a high
volume, order fulfillment, high tech automated distribution center while making a significant impact!
The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years leadership experience in a high volume, fast paced, multi-shift distribution
center or equivalent military leadership experience; i.e. leading a large platoon, company or battalion. You will have the ability
to utilize your extensive and proven interpersonal, employee development and team building skills. You will be experienced in
LEAN, Six Sigma and have some exposure to project management. This is an excellent opportunity to utilize your leadership
experience directly guiding a team in a warehouse and distribution center with a Fortune 500 Company.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the process flow of a high volume, order fulfillment, multi-shift distribution center
• Manage all functions to ensure timely accurate product receipt, order fulfillment, and the optimization of resources and
• Manage processes to ensure compliance with company policies/procedures, continual process improvement
Ensure the timeliness, quality and effectiveness of all processes performed within a given area of responsibility
• Develop and implement departmental changes enhancing workflow optimization
• Effectively lead the department’s employees by creating/sharing a common vision/direction and an understanding of the
• Works with the distribution center departments to enhance process flow of 3,000 to 7,000 customer orders per day and 5-15
inbound trailer receipts per day
• Ensure compliance with Company, OSHA, DOT, and EPA regulations
• Hire, train and develop a staff of 20-60 employees in non-exempt positions
• Facilitate and/or lead quality excellence teams
• Ensures 100% Accountability of department’s physical assets (equipment, RF units, inventory, conveyors, etc.) are properly
controlled, protected, and utilized
At least 3 years of previous leadership experience in a high volume, multi-shift, order fulfillment distribution center dealing
with large employee populations. Experience directly leading individuals at the platoon or company level in the military;
focused on team member safety and development while performing in a time restricted environment.
- Self-motivated leader that is capable of balancing daily operational and individual team member concerns while also being
forward thinking, developing departmental strategies for continued success.
• Undergraduate degree in business, management, logistics, material management or a related field of study preferred.
• Experienced in LEAN and Six Sigma.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Proven training and employee development skills with a strong emphasis on team building.
• Proven process improvement experience and effective leadership skills.
• Ability to develop and maintain positive employee, customer and cross-functional team relations; actively engaged in team
• Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills with the ability to drive results.
• Ensure compliance with Company, OSHA, DOT, and EPA regulations with particular emphasis on hazardous materials and
power industrial equipment requirements.
• Ability to travel occasionally to other Distribution Centers, field locations and the corporate office.