Tracking Code 219623-021
Responsible for the day-to-day governance and performance management of the DBA’s and database system owned by the IT, including strategic and tactical management for primarily MS SQL and DB2 systems. This role will develop and implement the strategic direction; managing the database systems by implementing policies and procedure for ensuring the security and integrity of the company’s databases. The ability to work and coordinate projects between internal departments and manage strategic planning is required.
- Manages and coordinates the day-to-day planning, design and maintenance of servers and databases.
- Develops and drives annual and continuous improvement plans for DBAs.
- Investigates industry trends and implement new technologies to improve the level of service and technology provided to the business.
- Establishes standards and procedures for all Database systems owned by IT Operations.
- Defines and ensures daily operational tasks needed for optimal database performance and stability are carried out by the DBAs.
- Seeks ways to actively improve the stability, performance, monitoring, security, and backups of Database systems.
- Writes and maintains database documentation, requirements and standards, communicating them to development teams and others as appropriate.
- Defines Database “Gold Standard” for KCS’s data platforms and environments.
- Participates in project planning and scoping, change management, and resource capacity planning.
- Works closely with all IT teams and business groups to manage customer satisfaction and direct investigation and remediation of service level breakdowns.
- Assists in the management of IT communication programs that effectively describe and promote the department, products and services delivered.
- Investigates industry trends and new technologies, providing guidance and recommendations to senior management to improve the level of service provided to the business thru cost reduction and process efficiency.
- Recruits, develops, retains and motivates a team operating at a high performance level.
- Maintains an escalation point of contact for on-call support and provides support to senior management.
- Exemplifies KCS Vision, Values, and Culture in each and every interaction with team, clients, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Technology or a related field; - 7 years’ experience developing, implementing and managing DBA’s and database systems in a multi-datacenter environment;
- Experience managing High volume transaction processing (OLTP) environments, with 24/7 support and 99.999% uptime requirements;
- Experience managing Batch processing/Big Data environments;
- Experience managing remote employees;
- High level of experience with Database monitoring and performance tuning;
- Experience with deployment and system build automation;
- Experience working with geographically dispersed teams and customer base;
- or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Technology or a related field
- ITIL Foundation certified preferred
- Technology leadership skills to include coaching/mentoring/teaching, critical thinking/judgment, facilitation, leading change, and team development.
- Ability to motivate others to perform above normal expectations.
- Excellent customer service, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and an excellent, creative problem-solver, with proven ability to successfully manage multiple disparate streams of work in a challenging, dynamic environment.
- Experience with the Database code development Life Cycle.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and must possess exceptional ability to work well with individuals and teams at all levels, across all division’s.
- Proficiency in developing creative Power point visual presentations to effectively communicate health of enterprise data platform to senior leadership.
- Demonstrate solid organizational and time management skills with ability to perform detailed tasks with high degree of accuracy and work and perform under pressure.
- Proficiency in implementing a progressive work culture and promote proactive monitoring and processes to maximize database system availability.
The duties listed are representative of the job; however, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties a person may be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.