As a Starbucks Application Development Manager, you will lead a team of software engineers, analysts and testers in planning, designing and developing core Starbucks retail applications. You are also responsible for the evolution, delivery and support of the technology strategy and roadmaps for new and existing applications and platforms. This role requires managerial experience, technical expertise, domain proficiency, platform depth, and leadership skills.
This position contributes to Starbucks success by handling Starbucks next generation retail systems serving the global store portfolio through planning, delivery and operation of software applications. You are also responsible for the evolution, delivery and support of the technology strategy and roadmaps for new and existing applications and platforms. This role requires managerial experience, technical expertise, domain proficiency, platform depth, and leadership. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Leveraging your previous experience, we will enable you to:
- Manage a portfolio of applications in Cash Management, Retail Configuration Management, Retail Messaging, IoT Configuration Management
- Work closely with Starbucks Retail Operations, Global Revenue Accounting, Treasury, Siren Retail, Retail Point of Sale and Digital Commerce teams to deliver next generation capabilities that enable Starbucks continued global expansion
- Work closely with third-party vendors in designing, implementing and maintaining external APIs and integrations that support core retail applications
We’d love to hear from people with:
Leadership – Set goals for the work group, develop organizational capability, and modeling how we work together
Planning and Execution – Develop strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results
Technical Design and Implementation – Provide technical expertise and execute technical responsibilities
Platform Stewardship – Championing platform efforts to promote platform evolvement and stability to support business needs.
Partner Development and Team Building – Provides partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities, and building effective teams
Production Support for application and platform components
- 8-10 years of professional industry experience in software development and operations
- 5 years of managing systems or application development projects of all sizes and complexities, including large systems
- 3-5 years of leading or managing small technical teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
Preferred Qualifications Technical Proficiency
- Ability to hire, manage and grow a team of technical experts that cohesively build and operate secure, durable, flexible, accessible solutions. Requires an understanding of relevant development languages, tools, frameworks, utilities and technical dependencies.
- Recognizes, values and champions high quality, reusable software with minimal defects on the team.
- Remains up to date on industry trends and ability to incorporate new technologies, concepts and development languages into the platform fabric through platform initiatives.
- Working knowledge of application architecture, infrastructure and security concepts and technical implementation.
- Broad and deep understanding of relevant platform and applications capabilities, including established API’s, system activity components, process flows, the underlying data model, implementation specifics of important business rules, batch jobs, user interface components, and application configuration.
- Familiarity and curiosity in the business context and trends, as well as the business customers’ opportunities. Awareness of the functional aspects of the solution.
- Ability to lead and influence cross functional teams that include architects, analysts, developers and QA analysts
- Ability to articulate ideas, using facts and data, for solutions to both technical and business communities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to influence and negotiate strategy and roadmaps in planning exercises
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to make timely and effective decisions using a mixture of intuition, analysis, experience and judgment.