Metrology Engineer- Battery Product Design
The Battery Product Development team at Apple produces high energy and highly reliable embedded battery systems for all product teams. Tightly integrated with Product Development, Operations, Industrial Design and Reliability Testing groups, the Battery Product Development team owns battery module development from initial system architecture through ramp.
The Battery Cell Mechanical Engineering Design Group works within the Battery Product Development organization and is the primary design resource for our battery cells, which are integrated into battery modules and then into products.
The Battery Cell Mechanical Metrology Engineer coordinates and executes the metrology plan for the overall battery cell design from initial system architecture through first customer ship.
- 5+ years experience in using and implementing integrated CAE solutions in multi-physics environments, centered on product design and development
- Defining and executing design validation activities (testing, metrology, statistical analysis)
- Experience directing / providing site support for tools
- 3+ years engineering management experience.
- Experience using a variety of metrology equipment and software (OMM, CMM, laser scanning, structured light, Polyworks, JMP)
- Must be highly data-driven and detail focused.
- Familiarity with Lithium-based battery technologies is highly desired
- Specific experience with portable consumer electronic product or large format batteries is preferred
- Experience working with overseas vendors a plus
- High volume manufacturing and automation experience a plus
- Process development experience a plus
- Design and 3D CAD experiencerequired, Siemens NX preferred
- Scientific method, experimental process, root cause analysis, statistical analysis
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes and/or automation is highly desirable
- Disciplined in GD&T practices with close attention to datum establishment and tolerance analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with management, team members and external vendors.
• Work with the Battery Mechanical Engineering Design team to develop metrology requirements.
• Brainstorms metrology design concepts and executes concepts in all phases of a development cycle
• Generates innovative designs with cross-functional teams, including detailed written specifications, drawings and tolerance analyses
• Defines and Executes design validation and characterization from prototype bring-up to product testing
• Develops metrology designs and processes with external vendors, acting as product development technical liaison among vendors
• Communicates cross-functionally on design directions and requirements
• Manages and tracks multiple priorities within schedule requirements and drives multiple vendors towards common project goals
• Conducts design reviews and drives file release process
• Drives failure analyses and design of experiments (DOEs) to reach design solutions and corrective actions
• Communicates status effectively throughout the management structure.
BSME required; MSME is desirable.
- Job Number: 56869705