At EVRAZ North America, we manufacture engineered steel products for rail, energy and industrial end markets at six production sites located in the USA (Portland, Oregon; Pueblo, Colorado) and Canada (Regina, Saskatchewan; Calgary, Camrose and Red Deer, Alberta). We are the largest North American producer by volume in the rail and large diameter pipe markets, and we hold leading positions in the Western Canada oil country tubular goods, small diameter pipe and West Coast plate markets.
EVRAZ offers competitive wages and benefits along with training, apprenticeships and development programs to help you accomplish your professional objectives. We encourage our employees to continue their education by providing tuition reimbursement and training opportunities. And our open door policy fosters a culture of open communication that allows every employee to have a voice in the company. It's how the best ideas come to light—and why the best people choose to work at EVRAZ.
Job Description and Responsibilities
EVRAZ NA currently seeks a Metallurgical Engineer to join our growing team at our Portland, OR location! Reporting to the Superintendent of Technical Services, this role will be involved in all aspects of technical support to Operations, Sales and EVRAZ NA clients. This role focuses on product metallurgy, order addressing and ensuring processing of steel according to customer specifications.
Additional responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical expertise related to, but not limited to, chemistry specification, critical process parameter identification, material testing requirements, material inspection standards and procedures
- Assess plate and coil laboratory test results to permit customer shipment
- Resolve rolling mill schedule anomalies, including but not limited to, chemical and technical issues associated with successful application of steel slabs onto customer orders
- Analyze material characteristics and critical process parameter performance
- Provide technical support to the Sales department in response to customer product inquiries
- Investigate the root cause of non-conforming material and recommend a resolution
- Investigate customer claims to determine the validity, root cause and potential remedies with the customer and/or within the manufacturing facility
- Participate in and/or lead cross functional problem solving teams
- Coordinate product and process development activities amongst sales and rolling mill departments
- Investigate opportunities to improve existing processes, equipment and technology for attaining organizational cost reduction and continuous improvement goals
- Technical projects as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science with at least five to eight (5-8) years of experience in steel making and continuous casting OR Master Degree in Metallurgical Engineering with thesis, projects and/or prior experience in steel-making and continuous casting required
- Background in alloys, heat treating, rolling of steel plate and HSLA steel metallurgy a plus
- Familiarity with ASTM Standards
- Strong troubleshooting, analytical and problem solving skills are key to success
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Cooperative and effective team member, able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to work in an environment subject to fluctuations in heat, humidity, fumes, odors, dust and noise
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.