The overall opportunity – Business Development Manager (BDM) – Mercury Marine
Work for the undisputed leader in the Marine Industry! Mercury Marine, a Division of Brunswick, based in Wisconsin offers a unique, fun and rewarding work environment that fosters individual growth and rewards performance in the Marine segment of the recreational industry. Mercury’s work environment is fast-paced, competitive and high-energy. Under the direction and supervision of the Regional Business Director, the Business Development Manager (BDM) will manage and grow the entire Mercury Marine dealer network within his/her sales zone through building relationships with dealers, OEM’s, customers and developing strategic territory growth plans. The successful BDM will coach, consult, develop and grow sales volume, market share and profitability that meet the objectives of Mercury Marine. Additional responsibilities include: developing a strategy to service existing accounts, develop new business; monitor weekly reports; work in National, Regional and local boat shows; attend sales meetings; utilizing computer and CRM tools and generally manage customer accounts.
This specific opportunity – BDM for all or part of the states of – Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut.
The selected candidate will live in one of the states in the market.
The BDM is the principal selling agent within the assigned sales territory for Mercury Marine and is responsible for achieving the established short and long-range sales goals and objectives. The BDM must assure that sales and marketing activities within the territory comply with Mercury corporate policies and procedures.
Primary Duties, Responsibilities and Requirements:
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with existing Mercury Marine dealers, boat sales representatives and prospective new dealers.
• Outstanding commitment to the long-term development of Mercury dealers. Must exemplify a proven ability to coach, manage, consult and grow sales with specific and measurable objectives. A strong business acumen is essential.
• Internal and external expert of customer, prospective, competitive and market intelligence information. The BDM represents the eyes and ears of the company.
• Must be a skilled listener, mediator and negotiator while accomplishing goals and protecting interests.
• Must have a proven track record of exceeding sales goals, market share goals and demonstrate an intense motivation to sell and grow market share.
• Develop sales strategies, techniques, tactics and training of product knowledge based on customer feedback and the market environment. Must be able to present key selling points, features and benefits while focusing on exceeding customer needs and expectations.
• Ability to travel to multiple Mercury dealers sales and service locations within the assigned territory. At least 60% overnight travel is required, more overnight travel during peak season.
• Communicate customer requirements and request support from other departments as necessary to assist in achieving established objectives. Must have strong cross-functional skills.
• Work jointly with assigned inside customer account representatives, service personnel and credit personnel to achieve territory sales goals.
• Attending Mercury sponsored events, boat-shows, open-houses and dealer events on the weekend is considered common.
Basic Qualifications and Experience:
• Must have at least a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management, Marketing or equivalent.
• Minimum 3 to 5 years of related business work experience within the Marine Industry, Recreational Industry or in the areas of Sales, Business or Marketing is preferred.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to effectively communicate cross-functionally.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (including MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint) Internet/Intranet and CRM skills, especially while tethered via laptop from a remote location.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel at least 60% overnight.
• Strong data analysis and computer skills, needs to have the ability to understand and analyze data and trends. Driven by metrics.
• A practical “nose for business” and a strong problem solver, both strategically and tactically.
• Possesses a high sense of urgency, low-ego with high confidence. A high degree of credibility to be convincing and persuasive when faced with resistance.