Merchandising Manager - Corrugated Packaging
We are seeking a strategic Merchandiser to lead our Corrugated Category (West Region). In this role, the Merchandiser will be responsible for overall strategic management of the respective category including vendor relationships, strategic sourcing, product mastery, industry and trend analysis, and a key business partner to regional procurement leads, Sales Representatives, Executive and other stakeholder. This role will manage the corrugated procurement activities and people in the Corrugated Center of Excellence. This role will be responsible for driving performance and impact – ensuring we have the best suppliers and pricing possible to remain cutting edge.
- People Leadership: Corrugated Center of Excellence Leadership
- Travel Requirement: up to 10 % Travel May Be Required
At Orora, we believe our packaging touches lives and together, we, together as a team, deliver on the promise of what's inside. From custom packaging design and packaging materials, to prototype development and manufacturing, packaging automation and equipment, kitting and fulfillment, global sourcing, and full-service warehousing and logistics, our packaging consultants develop cutting-edge, innovative solutions that take a product from concept to consumer. It is with this passion and commitment to innovation, we believe in hiring and developing the very best talent by living our core values of Teamwork, Passion, Respect, and Integrity every day.
These core values define who we are and how we operate. They shape the way we work with each other, with our customers, and with our communities. Every day, we deliver packaging solutions that exceed our customers' expectations while solving complex problems as a team. We believe that all team members (irrespective of their role or level), should aspire to distinctive leadership behavior, as we continue to deliver on the promise for our customers, shareholders and each other. Leadership is not tied to a job title, i.e. you don't need to be accountable for a team to be considered a leader. At Orora leadership is encouraged at every level, within the team .
What You'll be Responsible For in this Role
- Primary category expert within Orora; advising the business on how this specific category can play a role in driving innovation, client development, cost reduction opportunities, etc.
- Serve as primary contact/relationship manager for key supplier accounts within assigned category; Keeping abreast of the who's who in the industry – ensuring Orora always has the best suppliers at the table.
- Develop category strategy, roadmap, and key performance metrics for designated category; Prepare and present category strategy updates to executives and key stakeholders as needed
- Develop, lead, and execute on cost reduction initiatives and roadmaps – in partnership with leadership and key suppliers
- Advise and coach business on opportunities to further reduce cost, improve quality, and new product trends in the market; Present trends to leadership as needed to drive sales opportunities
- Recommends the nature and scope of present and future product lines by reviewing product specifications and requirements; appraising new product ideas and/or product or packaging changes
- Assesses market competition by comparing the company's product to competitors' products.
- Provides source data for product line communications by defining product marketing communication objectives.
- Business Development – serve as a key subject matter experts in partnership with Sales Representatives
- Brings new products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs; preparing return-on investment analyses; establishing time schedules with engineering and manufacturing.
- Determines product pricing by utilizing market research data; reviewing production and sales costs; anticipating volume; costing special and customized orders
- Manage all aspects on new supplier qualifications, onboarding, performance, and quality standards for designated category
- Develop, implement and maintain supplier performance scorecards
- Monitor and ensure all suppliers are compliant with established contracts and agreements
- Develop, manage, and execute sourcing events for key purchases – RFQ, RFP, Project Management etc.
- Negotiate pricing, delivery/timing, and contractual language (with supplier performance team) for all key purchases
- Other duties as needed
What We're Looking For
- 10 years of experience in designated category
- 5+ years leading designated category with a track record of increase revenue and/or decreased costs
- 2+ years leading a procurement or merchandising team
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Strong organizational skills (ability to use MS Office Suite with an emphasis on advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint knowledge)
- Strong Analytical skills (ability to identify cost savings and revenue opportunities across several product lines, with the ability to present a financial analysis to management in order to support your recommendation
- Demonstrated history of driving businesses to improve financial performance.
- Strong track record of accurate and timely financial reporting and analysis.
- Strong team building skills and the proven ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid and positive professional relationships with upper management, peers and subordinates.
- Effective communication skills, including written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation skills ability to summarize and present transaction volume/trends to management
- Ability to work with other internal departments to achieve desired cost savings, revenue gain, or contractual commitment.
- Proven experience working with SAP
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.