Job ID 555877BR
Merchandiser drives a multichannelcategory creative vision, business strategy, and quarterly assortment plan based on a detailed knowledge of the productcategory, intimate understanding of the guest and demography, and studied appreciation of the competition and overall market place. He/She critically evaluates the assortment and reacts to in-season performance/trends as well as hindsight's performance and learning's to inform future seasons. The Merchandiser demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of the connection betweenfinancialstrategies and related merchandise objectives. He/She drives the business by partnering and influencing across various cross functional teams to ensure execution of assortment vision.
Set and drivecategorybusiness strategies in alignment with overarching Merchandise and Parks vision to drive profitable revenue growth.
- Develop category line planarchitecture each quarter, synthesizing market trends and white space opportunities, business hindsight's, site specific support needs, Studio releases, key park/film anniversaries, and Park Events to drive sales.
- Ensure strategy and assortment execution align with constantly changing guest demands through consistent and rigorous analysis of SKU level performance and maintaining relevancy with outside macro, micro, consumer, and category/fashion trends.
- Develop seasonal line plans that align category grow/maintain/downtrend positioning with initiatives and product/collection releases and mitigate any year over year content or new release comps gaps.
- Take ownership of category P&L; drive the business with full accountability to revenue and cost of goods. Exceed initial margin targets through assortment architecture/mix and product cost engineering in partnership with Sourcing.
- Leverage business insights and retail intuition to partner with Category Planning on appropriate buys to maximize sales; recognize nuances and dig into opportunities to drive the business, identifying “big bets” for investment distortion for each key program, force ranking newness, and consulting on buy stratification and planned sell through and out dates.
- Understand product lifecycle, trends and financial data at the category level; stay abreast of item level weekly sales trends in order to maximize in season opportunities and minimize end of season inventoryliability.
Set and drive the creative vision for newcategorybusiness initiatives, franchise based development, and seasonal assortment refreshes.
- Drive the creative vision for the department, influencing partners (Design, Sourcing, Technical Design, and Vendors) throughout the product development lifecycle to ensure delivery on the product vision and financials targets from ideation through sample approval.
- Set collection creative direction based on business strategy and market trends.
- Build individual item spec packages for handoff to Sourcing and Vendors. Review, comment on, and approve all samples, collaborating Tech Design/Engineering and Sourcing teams to cost engineer items, as necessary.
- Communicate strategies to Visual, Store Planning, and Operations Integration and influence partners to ensure successful execution of the assortment vision. Partner the sites to drive marketing efforts for key releases and new initiatives.
- Be the expert on the competitive environment – actively participate in market shopping and stay abreast of macro, micro, and consumer/fashion trends to drive new thinking in the business.
- Identify product voids/white space opportunities through intimate understanding of the category and customer in order to strengthen the overall assortment.
- Drive category business with disruptive thinking and thoughtful risk taking based on market insights and guest trends.
- Leverage relationships with Location and Site partners and Consumer Insights to glean insights that fuel business opportunity and maximize the guest experience.
Train, motivate and develop team to ensure effective performance and growth through consistent on-the-job training.
- Lead by example as a key change enabler to create an environment of agility and continuous improvement.
- Manage a minimum of one direct report.
- Understand the unique development opportunities and career goals of each member of the team and provides timely and relevant coaching and feedback.
- Quickly identify and address gaps in organizational competencies.
- 7 years of experience in Buying, Merchandising and/or Product Development with 1-2 years of management experience. Home Décor product development preferred.
- High energy, self-starter with an ownership mentality and a passion for retail and product development
- Successful track record managing high volume, complex business with tangible bottom line results.
- Strong analytical and strategy-formulation skills; Ability to synthesize a variety of inputs to drive to optimal business and assortment strategy.
- Creative, disruptive thinker with experience setting a compelling creative vision for seasonal assortments or category initiatives.
- Current working knowledge of the outside retail market, competitive and general retail trends, and guest demographics.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including comfort with executive-level presentations.
- Strong partnering skills and ability to influence internal stake holders and drive efficient decision-making; not afraid of constructive conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible while detail oriented; ability to balance conflicting organizational priorities with ability to lead and drive results across large-scale initiatives within specified timeframes.
- Out-of-box problem solver with ability to bring groups together for rapid resolution.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint. Adobe suite a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Retail Management, Fashion Merchandising, or equivalent.