Since the beginning, we’ve been inspired by everything women and girls are capable of, whether they’re serious athletes or just getting into fitness. We create versatile premium performance apparel designed for a life in motion. Challenge fuels us and we are always reaching for the amazing.
We’re looking for looking for people who find inspiration in the same things we do: the limitless potential of women and girls everywhere. If you share our passion for a healthy, active lifestyle, personal growth, innovative product and creating rewarding experiences – join our community. Alone we are strong, united we thrive. Together, we create the Power of She.
Athleta is seeking a product obsessed, strategic and innovative merchandising leader. Your job is to build a seasonal assortment that makes her look and feel amazing as she seamlessly transitions through her life in motion. Think performance meets fashion.
The Merchandise Manager role requires a leader who has a deep understanding and appreciation for technical performance product that’s as beautiful as it is innovative. You are equally passionate about product and about growing and developing a high performing merchandising team. You’ll need to straddle the strategic and creative worlds, partnering with team members to deliver a new breed of versatile premium performance and lifestyle product.
In this role, you will lead a team of entry to senior level merchandisers. The Merchandise Manager role is director level reporting into a Sr. Director of Merchandising (DMM).
• Merchandise and present the product line to deliver financial results and maximize omni assortment; incorporating all channels and brand objectives
• Know the competition inside and out with respect to financial condition, trends, marketing and product strategy; react accordingly to ensure market leadership
• Develop Athleta’s quarterly big ideas by combining knowledge of the competitive landscape with a strong eye for fashion trends observing details and seeking inspiration from the runway
• Effectively coach, train and lead a team of 4 or more direct reports
• The Merchandise Manager acts as a key partner in the fitting of garments. Ensure product details and garment’s fit intent meets the designaesthetic and customer needs
• Execute the transfer of product knowledge seasonally to all marketing partners, ensuring product features, fabric & fit are accurate and used correctly in all marketing vehicles
• Maximize sales and minimize risk by reviewing sales, receipt flow, inventory and margin projections for Open to Buy
• Ensure the financial success of multiple departments by meeting or exceeding sales, GM, GMROI, and turn goals
• Develop and establish annual and seasonal financial plans
• Provide direction through focusing and clearly communicating the priorities of managing multiple seasons
• Effectively manage and support the career development process of direct reports to ensure job satisfaction and future talent development
• Serve as Team Leader of cross functional teams
• You have 7-10 years of experience including 5-7 years of retail buying experience and 2-4 years of management experience; ideally working in a high growth business and have a performance background
• Excellent at setting priorities, fostering cohesion and inspiring cross functional teams
• Keen at assessing employee strengths and developmental needs
• Ability to make focused decisions based on Brand integrity and Company values
• Consistently communicate in a clear and timely manner
• Strong presentation and negotiation skills
• Possess a clear understanding of financial measurements and how to impact them
• Possess a working knowledge of Purchase Order, planning, recapping and other Merchandising systems and spreadsheets
• Possess sound knowledge of international production process
• Ability to travelinternationally and domestically
• Bachelors Degree
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality in the workplace in 2016.