Position Description: Prepare detailed estimates for the project based on the design documents, narratives, and specifications, focusing on the Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection trades. Reports to: Preconstruction Manager / MEP Manager
Essential Duties & Responsibilities*:
Specifically relating to themechanicalsystems:
- Lead responsibility for complex projects such as Mission Critical, Hospital/Healthcare, Pharma and Government jobs that have an MEP package of $25M+.
- Communicate estimate and scopes of work to the Turner staff, architects, engineers, and owners.
- Prepare quantity take-offs, analysis, estimates, and studies for all Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection items incorporated in the scope from conceptual design through completed construction documents. Preliminary design work may be required to complete conceptual estimates.
- Analyze existing site conditions and all contract documents (plans, specifications, etc.) to determine required scope that is not already indicated.
- May supervise Assistant MEP Estimators, Estimating Assistants and/or Interns.
- Develop working relationships with local material suppliers and equipment vendors to solicit accurate and current pricing of plumbing fixtures, HVAC equipment, piping & sheet metal material, and miscellaneous material pricing.
- Develop working relationships with local Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection sub-contractors to build and maintain a list of qualified bidders for all projects.
- Perform constructability analysis of project documents. Communicate design and constructability issues to the project team per the project contract.
- Provide first costs analysis and participate in life cycle analysis with the design team.
- Participate in decision making process with Operations and Procurement when determining MEP subs to utilize on a project pursuit.
- Lead company-wide or regional MEP initiatives, including special projects and/or project pursuits.
- Develops and maintains in-depth interactions and relationships with clients.
- Implements MEP training. May assist with development of that training.
- Lead integration of the MEP Operations staff during the MEP PreCon process and continue to consult through construction.
- Ensure general conditions and general requirements items are properly addressed in the estimate including, but not limited to, items such as temporary heating/cooling, including estimating of natural gas consumption during construction.
- Coordinate equipment pricing with Turner Logistics for Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection estimates.
- Develop a value analysis by defining alternatives to the proposed Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection systems, materials and equipment that are more cost efficient.
- Act as liaison with engineers, design consultants, subcontractors, other Turner staff, and owner’s representatives to resolve Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection issues related to the project preconstruction efforts.
- Prepare estimates and proposals for all contract types including lump sum, GMP, Cost Plus, etc.
- Participate in estimate reviews with the design team and client.
- Participate in project hand-off to operations to ensure proper transfer of knowledge from Preconstruction to operations.
- Prepare scope requisitions for the bidding/procurement of Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection systems; coordinating with fellowestimators to eliminate scope gaps and overlaps.
- Lead the evaluation of subcontractor proposals relative to their scope of work. Determine scope coverage and manage risk of scope gaps.
- Assist project staff in evaluating large change orders.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering plus a minimum of fifteen years related Mechanical/Plumbing/Fire Protection estimating experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience. Proven written and verbal communication abilities; proficiency with computer applications, including Microsoft Office suite. Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule. Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills