From the first days designing clothing in a garage, prAna's initial vision to connect yoga and climbing to mindful living has captivated thousands. It's ensured that prAna clothing and gear are made with intention - that every detail from trim and linings to hangtags is carefully designed to enhance our lives today while still considering the needs of tomorrow. Since 1992, this vision has been at the root of prAna's relationships with customers and retailers. And, it has helped the company to foster a community of active, free spirited customers that share its values.
Today, the brand has evolved beyond our rock climbing and yoga roots to include lifestyle and performance clothing. The clothing is designed at prAna with style and versatility in mind. prAna is deeply committed to mitigating the impact they have on the environment in manufacturing and selling its clothing and that all products are made in safe and fair working conditions.
Each year, prAna welcomes increasingly more people to the prAna way of life through a multi-channel strategy including their own branded stores, a fast-growing direct ecommerce business, catalogs and an established wholesale distribution of over 1,400 retailers across the US, Canada, and Europe.
prAna was acquired by Columbia Sportswear Company (CSC) in June, 2014 and is part of the family of brands in the CSC portfolio, including Columbia, Mountain Hardwear and Sorel. prAna is headquartered in Carlsbad, California and operates as a wholly owned subsidiary of Columbia Sportswear Company.
Overview of the Position:
Working within the framework of the line plan, seasonal inspiration themes and the prAna development calendar, the Principal Designer is responsible for the conceptual design and creative execution of versatile outdoor, active inspired apparel that meets the needs of the customer while moving the brand forward. The Principal Designer is responsible for the aesthetic execution of the product and collaborates with cross functional teams to ensure product quality, fit and cost targets are met. In addition to individual creative duties, s/he supervises and oversees the development of a design assistant/associate, fostering an environment of growth and high-quality design aesthetic. The Principal Designer collaborates with Merchandising, Product Development, Production and our external vendor base/suppliers throughout the development phase. He/she fosters a culture of collaboration, creativity, innovation and solution-minded thinking that enables prAna to consistently meet customers' expectations and company goals.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Research seasonal trends in activity, silhouette, color, fabric and trim
- Work with the Design Director and Product Merchandise Manager to select and identify fabrics and trims for development, collaborate with Materials and Product Development to source
- Establish strong working relationship with merchandising & product development team to achieve margin goals, cost targets through use of appropriate style details, fabrications and construction
- Provide input to Textile Print & Graphic Designer in the development of all over and placement prints
- Create layouts, pitches and colorways for all yarn-dye patterns if needed
- Prepare all inspiration and trend boards, thumbnail concept sketches, technical line drawings and updates to CADs/line drawings throughout development season
- Prepare and complete with accuracy all initial techpacks: technical line drawings, detail drawings, bill of materials, trim and label packages, seam construction and preliminary fit dimensions
- Participate in fittings and partner with the Technical Design team to achieve consistent brand fits that meet customer expectations and return rate objectives
- Create, manipulate and recolor in-house textile designs/graphics/ prints and embroidery when needed
- Prepare color ups for each style working within established color palette for selection and approval
- Partner with product development team to manage style development from initial techpack through pre-production fit approval
- Support prAna product team in the creation of presentation and visual tools for sales meetings, seasonal kick-off meetings, pre-lines or in-house dealer presentations
- Attend relevant trade shows, travel to vendors, suppliers and key accounts as requested Mentor and/or provide guidance to team members
- Meet all design and product development calendar deadlines
MANAGE DIRECT REPORT, PROVIDE COACHING TO ENHANCE PERFORMANCE AND GUIDE DEVELOPMENT
GUIDE PRIORITIZATION OF WORKLOAD
CONDUCT PERIODIC AND ANNUAL PERFORMANCE REVIEWS OF DIRECT REPORT
ASSESS AND AUTHORIZE VACATION AND TIME OFF
VERIFY, CORRECT AND APPROVE BI-WEEKLY TIME CARDS FOR HOURLY EMPLOYEE
CONDUCT REGULAR ONE-ON-ONES WITH TEAMS TO ENSURE CONSISTENT, QUALITY WORK
REVIEW AND RECOMMEND PAY CHANGES
INTERVIEW, HIRE AND ONBOARD EMPLOYEE WHEN NEEDED
Education and Experience Requirements
- 7+ years of combined design experience in Sportswear or Outdoor apparel industry
- 1+ years of lead or supervisory experience
- Bachelor's degree in fashion design required
- Portfolio required
- Pre-employment design project required
- Experience and passion designing apparel with the end-consumer in mind – to meet and solve their needs given their lifestyle and adventures
- Outdoor, snowsport, climbing or other customer driven, like-minded athletic passion and experience a plus
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Strong command of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, In Design
- Personal experience and understanding of the feel and fit of outdoor / active wear apparel
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage and PLM systems
- Excellent hand sketching, rendering and illustrative skills
- Comprehensive understanding of woven and knit garment and fabric construction, synthetic, natural, performance and sustainable fibers
- Knowledge of printing, dyeing and finishing techniques
- Strong creative and conceptual skills
- Excellent color sense: Munsell color test results helpful
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet and maintain schedules
- Proven track record of delivering product concepts that meet customer expectations and business objectives
- Possesses high level of ownership, looks at challenges with a positive attitude
- Ability to be productive in an open, ever changing, fast paced environment
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication/presentation skills
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in a flexible work environment.
Schedule and Travel
- Must be able to occasionally travel internationally and domestically
- Must be able to work full-time, Monday through Friday, with occasional extra hours to ensure design deadlines are met