Essential Job Duties:
- Identifies best practices for medication safety. Performs a system wide analysis of adverse drug events based on the data reported from each facility. Identifies trends from a system wide and facility basis to determine if corrective actions are needed. Develops performance measures and reports on a frequent basis. Analyzes facility reporting systems to determine their effectiveness in terms of adverse drug event capture, timeliness of reporting, and usefulness of information captured. Analyzes current practices that contribute to medication errors and take proactive steps for prevention. Collaborates with leaders and facilitates process and system changes and reduces the likelihood of occurrence and reoccurrence of medical error.
- Provides project management and overall facilitation for prioritizing and advocating patient safety initiatives related to the design and implementation of systems and processes that support medication safety. Develops project plans and implements in a timely fashion.
- Reviews medication safety bulletins, alerts or publications and conducts an assessment of medication management systems and process to determine where opportunities for improvement exist. Formulates recommendations and works with Facility pharmacy directors to develop an implementation and education plan. Provides education guidance and assistance to Facilities as it relates to medication safety.
- Participates in facility based root cause analysis (RCAs) related to medication adverse events. Evaluates systems and process change recommendations on a system level to determine where medication safety risks exist and opportunities for improvement are needed. Develops a system wide plan for implementation and recommendations as well as increased awareness of risks identified with this type of event.
- Establishes a system wide working forum on medication safety. Establishes and standardizes a Medication Safety Committee at each facility, including standard agenda topics, follow-up and tracking. Provides monthly reports on medication safety at the Acute Division PSC meeting.
- Provides direct involvement in ensuring ongoing safety of UHS technology related to medications, i.e. CPOE, medication reconciliation, automated dispensing cabinets, electronic MARs.
Phar D with 8 + years experiencerequired, additionally, to perform this job successfully, an individual must have a minimum of five years pharmacy experience in healthcare organization with increasing responsibility, including in medication safety practices.
- Possess critical thinking skills and independent analysis of identified medication safety problems, effectively problem solves utilizing appropriate resources for corrective actions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of medication safety practices and prevention techniques. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage confidential information
- Effective administrative and management skills.
- Ability to manage, mentor, and motivate facility based staff, using effective interpersonal verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective problem solving, persuasion, and negotiation techniques.
- Knowledge of healthcare facility operations, functions, and staffing requirements.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policies and procedures
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations, applicable state licensure and accreditation laws and regulations.
- Knowledge and skills with use of computer and various software products (i.e., Windows, Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, Outlook, MIDAS, etc.)
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
- Frequent travel to assigned facilities and other locations as deemed necessary to accomplish goals of the department/corporation.
- Remote possibility
- 70% - 80% travel