The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Vaccines, exists to provide non-promotional, medical support that helps to ensure the safe and effective use of GSK's medicines, through effective scientific interactions with external stakeholders (Experts, Health Care Professionals and Advisory Board Members), to provide support to clinical development colleagues with investigators conducting GSK clinical trials, and to provide scientific support for GSK internal stakeholders. The MSL will also conduct promotional programs to Health Care Providers. The MSL will provide scientific clinical information and support to these high priority customers in a manner consistent with GSK's principles for scientific engagement. Therapeutically aligned, Field-based position, Frequent travel required (50 - 70%).
Medical Science Liaisons' are expected to interface and provide value across a continuum of both Internal and External Stakeholders. This includes:
Internal Stakeholders (R&D, Sales, and Marketing)
- Work with medical colleagues to identify External Experts, professional groups, decision makers and other key stakeholders in the assigned therapy area and or geography.
- Gather medical voice of the customer and construct and implement effective Medical Affairs strategy and planning through participation in or escalation to internal North America Medical Affairs teams
- Provide documentation for all interactions with HCPs according to applicable policies.
- Provide scientific training for GSK sales representatives regarding GSK products and the conditions they treat utilizing approved Sales Training materials.
- Attend and contribute (if required) to medical portion of regional account planning/training sessions.
- Attend both national and regional scientific/medical meetings to gain medical voice of the customer on recent data being presented on products and disease states of interest to GSK.
- Support clinical development activities and programs including GSK and Investigator sponsored studies as well as collaborating with R&D staff to improve site performance.
External Stakeholders (External Experts and other healthcare professionals, investigators and potential investigators, professional societies, and formulary decision makers)
- The successful candidate possesses, or is willing to acquire, the skills to engage in peer-to-peer scientific dialogue that includes clinical, scientific, value, real world evidence, and outcomes data with external experts, population-based decision makers, and other health care professionals.
- Gather medical voice of customer and secure advice that informs and assists GSK in the development of medicines of value, for the ultimate benefit of patients.
- Conduct individual discussions and meetings with GSK-contracted clinical study investigators, steering committee members, advisory board members, consultants etc, on topics related to the work being conducted with GSK (e.g. for clinical research investigators, the conduct or publication of clinical research sponsored by GSK).
- To respond verbally or by providing appropriate written materials to unsolicited requests for on- or off-label information or safety concerns that may have been asked of GSK sales staff or Medical and adhering to all policies and procedures regarding the provision of medical information
- Provide information in response to standing requests from external stakeholders (e.g. HCPs, formulary decision makers), when appropriate information becomes available.
- Deliver scientific / pipeline presentations to formulary committees and HCPs per documented unsolicited request.
- Provide general insight into GSK research interests and field inquiries regarding investigator sponsored scientific or clinical research projects and forward them to appropriate Medical Affairs staff for funding consideration.
- Participate in GSK-sponsored Advisory Boards as requested and in accordance with the applicable policies.
- Provide promotional presentations.
- Deliver affirmative presentations to HCPs and formulary decision makers within the scope allowed by the MSL Practice Policy.
- Ability to travel up to 50-70%
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Pharm D, PhD, M.D. required
- A minimum of 2 years clinical practice and/or pharmaceutical industry experience.
- Possesses solid knowledge of pharmacology and pharmacotherapy in humans and has experience practically applying this knowledge in a clinical setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills in both one on one and group settings
- Above average computer literacy and willingness to utilize a variety of software applications.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Vaccines or public health experience
- Previous clinical experience in situations where direct/indirect decision-making authority for patient care was demonstrated is preferred
- Ability to work within large and complex matrix teams
- Ability to facilitate high quality discussions around GSK medicines with external experts
- Bilingual skills in Spanish a plus