Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, a leader in Specialty Branded Pharmaceuticals, is recruiting for Medical Science Liaison / Sr. Medical Science Liaison - Nephrology to cover the following territories:
Midwest 9 States: ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO,WI, IL
This is a field based position requiring interested candidates to live in one of the stated geographical areas.
A Medical Science Liaison (MSL) or Senior Medical Science Liaison (Sr. MSL) will serve as a liaison to the medical/scientific community and will be responsible for establishing, developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders within the geographic and therapeutic area of coverage. This is a field-based Medical Affairs position requiring a strong scientific background (technical or clinical experience) as the MSL/Sr. MSL will be a credible source of clinical/scientific data as well as technical/practical education to practicing clinicians, key opinion leaders (KOL), professional societies, and payers. A Senior MSL will be able to demonstrate and apply advanced field based medical and scientific experience, subject matter knowledge, and skills in supporting medical strategies. MSL/Sr. MSL will be able to maximize and leverage thought leader relationships by identifying mutually beneficial opportunities that meet the strategic needs of internal stakeholders. Participates in and contributes to projects and initiatives that increase the value and productivity of the MSL team and Medical Affairs.
MSLs/Sr. MSLs have five key areas of focus:
- KOL Engagement
- HCP Interactions
- Insight Generation
- Internal Project Support
- Teamwork & Leadership
MSLs/Sr. MSLs have no sales objectives or accountability for prescribing or sales of any MNK product(s) and are required to avoid any situations that could create the appearance that they have such responsibilities.
- Develop relationships with KOLs in the assigned territory based on scientific exchange
- Engage in scientific dialog effectively communicating scientific content in response to KOL requests
- Assess KOL alignment with the key elements of the scientific platform to inform territory and medical strategy
- Develop KOL Advocates and Collaborators within your assigned territory
- Compliantly support company sponsored research, investigator initiated studies, and publications associated with MNK product(s)
- Stay abreast of emerging scientific literature/clinical data and translate the data in applicable knowledge.
- Respond to MIRFs with an initial contact within 2 days and a full answer within 3 weeks
- Collect scientific and clinical insights to support ongoing information/clinical data sharing (ie. new data, competitive information, insights learned from customer) to optimize communications and coordinated activities across the organization.
- Respond to all requests for directed insights within the expected timeframe
- Participate in advisory boards
- Contributes scientific content and helps build materials in support of a project or initiative
- Understand and practice the MNK Values
For Sr. MSL:
Sr. MSL will have the additional responsibilities in addition to baseline MSL responsibilities
- Coach and support MSLs to help them gain access to KOLs and development engagement strategies
- Researches and identifies KOLs and Focus KOLs for assigned therapeutic area
- Builds and executes a territory plan to achieve KOL engagement goals
- Complete pre-call planning independently to ensure effective KOL interactions
- Develops KOL relationships and engages in scientific exchange with payers as needed
- Independently ensure appropriate dissemination of clinical and scientific information regarding FDA approved and pipeline products in a timely, ethical, and customer-focused manner
- Monitors team insights adding tags and classifying insights for review/organization
- Runs projects independently including project planning, stakeholder engagement, risk management, and quality control
- Coordinates the work of others and provides coaching to achieve project goals
- Mentors MSLs
- Leads congress planning and reporting
- Builds training materials using effective instructional design techniques
- Provide ongoing scientific and medical training and/or support within the MSL team and to internal partners
- Champion the MNK Values
Department specific/Non-essential responsibilities:
- Must be committed to full compliance with all company SOPs, regulatory requirements, and applicable laws including PhRMA guidelines for field-based personnel.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license
Experience / Skills:
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, OD, PhD, PharmD) or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry, other healthcare environment or equivalent experience is required
- A 2+ years of leadership is preferred.
- Background in Nephrology, Transplant, Immunology is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of medicine, treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, customer strategies, and FDA promotional guidelines, regulations, and ethical guidelines is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to access and develop relationships with high-level stakeholders
- Ability to effectively communicate scientific content through 1:1 meetings, small group interactions, and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects including timelines, stakeholder management, and control risks
- Demonstrated ability to build and facilitate effective training programs
- Experience in a mentoring role
- Ability to independently research responses to scientific inquiries
- Ability to identify and build effective plans for engaging KOLs in your territory
- Must be a strong team player and effectively collaborate with internal departments.
- Work independently
- Patient and partner focus
- Learning ability
- Problem solving
- Relationship building
- Self-awareness and adaptability
- Strategic thinking