The Medical Scientific Liaison is accountable for building strong relationships and networks with the academic and clinical communities towards increasing the awareness, knowledge and competitive positioning of assigned pipeline products and therapeutic areas within a specific region in Canada, in line with the brand and company strategy.
The position is responsible for disseminating high level scientific and medical information especially concerning our pipeline products and future indications to opinion leaders, main prescribers and otherhealthcare professionals in his/her territory.
He/she will also be responsible to support colleagues from other cross-functional departments (e.g. sales, marketing, access, clinical research) and in the same territory. The role maintains high, professional credibility and ethical standards in interactions with all customers, healthcare professionals and patients to be seen as reliable medical, scientific resource by stakeholders. The role is pivotal in generating and disseminating regional clinical evidence supporting the optimal patient management and appropriate use of Sanofi products and offerings.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES FOR THIS JOB
- In support of our pipeline and existing portfolio, builds strategic relationships with key opinion leaders by leveraging scientific data in assigned therapeutic areas, and products, based on in-depth, specialized academic, medical and scientific knowledge to raise key scientific products’ attributes awareness and advocacy.
- Develops and presents academic, medical and scientific territory business plans including the interaction and KOLs engagement plans, in connection with Medical Advisors and Marketing departments on a yearly basis to align MSL directions to business strategies.
- Provides academic, medical and scientific advice, counsel and support to Sanofi medical team (mainly medical advisor) ensuring ongoing functionality and integrity of targeted research studies and results to help maintain quality of Sanofi research as well as convey and discuss proposals by investigators for Investigator Initiated Trials/ Company sponsored trials
- As needed, identifies, analyzes, monitors and summarizes the strategic relevance of current academic, medical and scientific information, data and research studies that supports Sanofi assigned products/new indications to keep key audiences updated on the current trends and practices in the therapeutic area.
- Leverage opportunities to increases academic, medical, scientific and evidence-based awareness, utilization and competitive positioning of assigned products (i.e. CHE events, case study reports and clinical trials) to increase scientific advocacy of our products’ attributes with key healthcare practitioners.
- Identifies mutual areas of interest and potential areas of collaboration with key opinion leaders/contacts to improve Sanofi positioning with key stakeholders.
- Liaise with and support Area Business Managers and sales representatives if needed, on the topics of pipeline products and future indications as well as regional medical information support optimizing the usage of Sanofi’s products
Therapeutic and Clinical Leadership
- Establishes academic, medical and scientific expertise and maintains high, professional credibility and ethical standards in interactions with all customers, healthcare professionals and patients to be seen as reliable medical scientific resource by stakeholders.
- Acts as a clinical and therapeutic resource in assigned therapeutic areas within Medical Affairs, developing and maintaining up-to-date knowledge of current, investigational and competitor products to provide support, guidance and pre-sales expertise to therapeutic area consultants, Medical and Marketing.
- Provides support for products under development, within an assigned geographic Region, to healthcare professionals as well as payers to increase scientific knowledge on pipeline products.
- Provides expertise, advice and guidance during product presentation to support the achievements of assigned products’ goals and objectives.
- Identifies key opinion leaders within each therapeutic area/medical specialty and recommends membership to international and local Advisory Panels to enhance the quality of the information gathered during these activities.
- Identifies relevant clinical practice guidelines, reviews using scientific methodology and analyses and provides strategic recommendations to the design of such guidelines.
- Prepares and conducts ongoing product and scientific updates to customers within the assigned Region to raise scientific awareness of our products with healthcare professionals.
- In collaboration with key opinion leaders, encourages and provides input into the development of phase IV clinical programs to help increase scientific and medical knowledge on our products.
- Recommends potential investigators for clinical protocols and, under the direction of New Product Development, supports customer contact/management to increase Sanofi list of potential investigators.
- When required participates in customers’ conferences and other relevant medical and scientific congresses by attending and reporting on new medical and scientific developments to internal and external stakeholders to maintain high level of therapeutic area knowledge.
KEY COMPLIANCE ACCOUNTABILITES
- Comply with Sanofi SOPs, policies, procedures, vision and fundamentals.
- Submit a complete monthly report to the manager including information on specific customers’ interactions, activities in the field, competitive feedback, potential investigator-initiated studies and any other relevant information to track MSL activities and to transfer knowledge between departments and teams. Ensures the call and KOLs engagement plans are met as per plans.
KEY REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS JOB
- Scientific background: MD, Pharmacist/PharmD, PhD desired, if not at least Master’s degree in an area linked to Medicine (Biology, Pharmacy, Physiology, Pharmacology…)
- At least 3years pharmaceutical industry experience, in a similar position or in clinical research or medical affairs
SPECIFIC SKILLS AND/OR COMPETENCIES
- Communication skills, with ability to synthesize complex information and to present it in simple words
- Ability and willingness to acquire knowledge in new areas very quickly
- Ability to work independently
- Business acumen
- Excellent therapeutic area Knowledge
- Analytic and problem solving skills
- French an asset
- Yes (at least 80 % of the time, mostly in own province unless dictate otherwise by territory geography)
- Microsoft Outlook: Electronic mail; Electronic agenda; Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel; Microsoft PowerPoint
Sanofi is a global healthcare leader focused on patients' needs, engaged in the research, development, manufacturing and marketing of therapeutic solutions focused on patients’ needs. Sanofi has core strengths in diabetes solutions, human vaccines, innovative drugs, consumer healthcare, emerging markets and Sanofi Genzyme.
At Sanofi, our ambition is to be an integrated global healthcare company, focused on patients’ needs. Much more than just a leading pharmaceutical company, Sanofi is committed to transforming scientific innovations into solutions and services that protect health, enhance life, and respond to the needs of the 7 billion people in the world. We trust our ambition to guide and inspire us as we work to create a future with optimal health and wellness for everyone.