BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children.
These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors.
Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This position is responsible for providing medical support to the Company’s product development strategy and post marketing commitments, while supporting Medical Affairs strategy.
This individual will interface with physicians / clinical investigators, regulatory agencies and internal departments. This individual must be able to support Global as well as regional responsibilities.
The Senior / Medical Director, (MD) must be able to rapidly acquire in depth knowledge of BioMarin’s approved products, agents in the pipeline and all associated disease areas.
This position will provide leadership within Medical Affairs and may represent the department at key internal and external meetings. This position will include providing input on marketing programs and representing BioMarin at scientific, clinical and business development meetings.
- Provides global coordination of all Global Medical Affairs function related to a compound or disease area specific area.
- Leads the Product or Disease Area Matrix Team
- Responsible for direct management of projects and project associated personnel.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of Global/Regional Medical Plan Plan in coordination with GMAF stakeholders, RML, AML, clinical sciences (project team lead), product development (core team lead), commercial (global commercial lead) and other relevant stake holders.
- Responsible for providing medical input into development, execution and interpretation of Phase I, II, III and IV clinical protocols. This includes review of draft IR protocols, reports and manuscripts.
- Oversee clinical registries and evaluate safety issues associated with products and promotional activities for BioMarin products in accordance with respected regulatory requirements.
- Assist in critically evaluating study results in statistical and final reports and ongoing reviews with study investigators, resolving problems arising in the course of clinical investigations and preparing reports to the management and medical community.
- Responsible for direct interaction with investigators, KOLs and the research community to support company initiatives.
- Responsible for representing BioMarin at scientific, clinical and business development meetings.
- Direct medical writing activities associated with Medical Affairs to ensure accurate execution of product dossiers, product related slide decks, standard response letters, FAQs as well as corporate abstracts, posters, oral presentation and manuscripts when appropriate.
- Promote effective communication between internal and external groups regarding Medical Affairs initiatives.
- Act as a key member of the Core team/Project team, IRRC, PRB, MMRC and MPRC reviews
- Serve as medical and technical resource for clinical issues raised by internal and external collaborators, investigators, consultants and contract resources
- Interact in collaborations with strategic partners
- Intellectual strength, analytical ability and high professional standards in designing, conducting and evaluating clinical research
- 2+ years as a medical monitor on company sponsored trials is preferred
- Clinical trial and publication experience essential
- Experience working within Medical Affairs for a biotech/pharma company highly desirable
- Knowledgeable and current in GCP guidelines in US and Canada
- Outstanding leadership, team, presentation, written and oral skills required
- Collaborative and flexible in personal interactions at all levels of the company
- Ability to work proactively and effectively, with exceptional creative problem solving skills
- 30-40% travel requirement and may include weekends
- MD required with US licensure and fellowship preferred
- Medical speciality in pediatric neurology highly desirable
- Expertise in genetic disease and metabolic diseases desired