The Medical Director is responsible, as assigned/delegated by the Laboratory Director/Regional Medical Director, for ensuring that the medical and operational quality of the clinical laboratory meets or exceeds customer/patient requirements. Additionally, serve as a liaison between Esoteric Operations and related lines of business, including the Clinical Franchises, Research & Development and Clinical Trials (Q-Squared Solutions, Q2S).
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the quality of laboratory testing of the Athena laboratory
- Represents the laboratory with its customers and the medical community.
- Provides consultations about Medical significance, Interpretation and Correlation of Data to contribute toward Patient Care (diagnosis and patient management).
- Responsible for providing medical direction, consultation and guidance to all levels of the laboratory staff and interacts effectively with accrediting/regulatory agencies, administrative officials, the medical device industry and patients.
- Leverages local and community involvement as a source of competitive advantage by proactively engaging with clients, partnering with Sales/Operations to market Quest Diagnostics and regularly interacts with and visits clients to educate and promote our services and ensure client retention and continuous business growth.
- Leads the Quality Assurance Department to insure all Quest standards are followed.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
- Active unrestricted medical licensure for Massachusetts or an ability to obtain a Massachusetts license (job offers will be made contingent on obtaining active licensure).
- Significant background and experience in Clinical Pathology as well as molecular or Genetic testing is required.
- Experience with leading and managing Laboratory staff is required.
- Experience in managing a departmental Profit and Loss budget is required.
- Industry executive with a minimum of 4-6 years post fellowship experience with progressive leadership experience, including 1-3 years minimum experience as an Associate Professor/Director level or above is required.
- Must have a New York CQ or be able to qualify for NY CQ’s.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional leadership skills, interpersonal skills, oral and written communications skills and the ability to be influential both internally and externally are required.
- Ability to develop relationships and influence key stakeholders who affect the business.
- Passion for business and clients.
- Strength in responding to common inquiries or complaints from clients, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
- Capability to provide leadership and direction in a fast-paced and complex operating environment.
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple interactive factors.
- Personal adaptability and ability to lead change.
- Ability to work well in a matrix organization.
- Some travel to visit clients within business unit territory and corporate meetings will be required.
- Works effectively in a team environment, and can interact seamlessly and productively with colleagues while providing clinical leadership, and medical expertise.
- Commitment to quality patient care through laboratory excellence in keeping with the corporate philosophy to be the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information, and services is essential.
- Commitment to quality patient care through laboratory excellence in keeping with the corporate philosophy is essential.