The Media Manager Beauty & Personal Care lead plays a critical role within the Unilever media organization as well as the wider Unilever organization as a thought leader and change agent. A balance of delivering for today and pioneering for tomorrow enables this media expert to play a significant role as we work to bring current and future core beauty brands to market faster and through different distribution channels.
Grounded in media expertise and the desire to learn fast, this person will help Unilever stakeholders translate business goals and consumer insights to develop strategic and tactical media plans for launch and on-going support delivering better consumer experiences and driving ROI. This role intersects emerging areas such as influencer media, full-funnel media and increased use of data to further inform media plans.
The Media Manager Beauty & Personal Care is the internal media expert to the brand organization and champion of the media function. This role will work close with brands and the media agency to lead the development and execution of world class media plans with a focus on learning fast.
The role calls for strong collaboration and partnership with the media team, media agency, marketing community, creative team and other cross functional stakeholders. You will become the trusted source for senior leaders to ensure Unilever is playing a strong and competitive role in the fast beauty space.
Media Manager Beauty & Personal Care is part of the Unilever global media organizations and reports to the Senior Media Manger for Beauty & Personal Care. The role is based in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
Who You Are & What You'll Do
You're a beauty maven: You have a passion for all things beauty and have experience working in a fast-paced beauty or fashion environment that will channel your passion into inspiration and collaboration.
You're a culture & change champion: Experimentation and fast learning with new methodologies and new process to enhance speed to market and evolve our go-to-market approach for beauty and personal care brands.
You're a pioneer and dot connector: You are not afraid to learn and apply those learnings in real time. Creating a strong bond and driving your expert voice within a cross-functional team with Product, Creative and Strategic Analysis to drive high quality customer experiences and business results.
You're a master at controlling chaos: Fast pace approach and employing learning in real time will require someone who can control what might feel like chaos to some. Driving and maintain the consumer at center and iterative learning will be rooted in the focus on the consumer insights and the business goals. Inspiring the team working in this environment will be critical.
You're a story teller: The intersection of consumer behavior, data points and development of media plans has never been stronger. Your role is to take these complex and buzzword filled concepts and details and distill the story telling to ensure all stakeholders and clear and aligned. We also need you to distill learning that can be leveraged on a broader basis across the Unilever portfolio.
You're a changemaker: Entrepreneurial drive – the person in this role must have a strong bias for action and able to cut through any churn and lack of clarity.
You're a teacher: Knowledge is power, so you unleash it on the organization and agency teams to exponentially grow the business. We need to bring many stakeholders along on the media journey with us – your role is to share your knowledge and bring everyone along on the journey.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: The role consists of four key thrusts:
1. Lead the development and execution of world class media plans (across TV, print and digital)
• Challenge and Collaborate with Mindshare, brand teams and other agency partners in the development and implementation of creative and innovative media communication plans that deliver against brand objective and goals that also factor in iterative learning on shorter than usual timeline
• Active contributor to the Brand Planning Process (e.g. annual and on-going) to drive the strategy development based on the proper brief and inputs, idea assessment and execution of media plans/programs across the full funnel.
• Drive brands' digital agenda, encompassing data driven marketing and the development and roll-out of Unilever's digital road map and the articulation of that road map for individual brands.
• Push for greater integration between all media elements such as paid influencer/editorial support, shopper marketing media, ecommerce media and data collection and execution strategy.
• Ensure clear KPIs to maximize in market media shifts/changes/optimizations to deliver against aligned business goals.
2. Execution Powerhouse: Implement, iterate, and optimize media to support business goals. Develop best practices for media strategy, execution and required agency support. Strong partnership with media agency to deliver best-in-class resources, ways of working and associated tools to maximize performance.
• Demonstrate accountability for you and agency partner to drive campaign performance specific to role of media.
• Development and modification of proper briefing templates and process to agency, aligning to brand strategy and business goals.
• Steward and share media performance with key Unilever stakeholders and identify learning and trends that can be leveraged across broader Unilever portfolio
• Liaison for the brand to the external media community, providing insight on trends, challenges and opportunities facing the industry.
• Manage and cultivate relationships with key media partners to ensure Unilever is well positioned to remain 'the' thought-leader in the media market place.
• Ensure accountable and transparent approach is fully leveraged while enabling speed
3. Drive the development and implementation of ROMI and Best Practice.
• Partner with Media Insights and other resources in the development and delivery of a research and analytics road map to aggressively drive efforts on ROMI and media optimization.
• Work with brands and agency teams in the development and implementation of appropriate planning guidelines that deliver against key brand objectives, learning and ROMI principals.
• Leverage best practices from in and outside the organization and insure they are reflected in ongoing channel planning and investment decisions.
4. Champion media capability building.
• Channel learning into larger themes and challenges, with a point of view on solution, so we can shape the capabilities and talent needs to properly support the marketing function during this high pace of change.
• Drive the media capability building agenda across the media and marketing organization, with focus in the emerging space and digital partners.
• Partner with media agency and outside experts in the overarching curriculum development and action plans that bring capability building to life.
• Develop learning plan to support the best practice and learning required to pioneer for tomorrow inclusive of supporting Digital Disruption Roadmap and Data Driven Marketing programs.
What You'll Need To Succeed:
• Bachelor's Degree in Media, Communications, Marketing or relevant industry experience; MBA is a plus.
• Minimum of 5-7 years' experience in media strategy (agency experience, account management, media role within another organization etc.)
• Must have experience working on media and digital deployment for Beauty brands; influencer experience a plus.
• Avid social media user who understands the difference between the platforms and how small and large beauty brands are leveraging this space to drive their business.
• Advanced knowledge and experiences with platforms and performance media strategy and execution/KPIs.
• Use of data to drive insights and audience building/targeting.
• Well versed in media: comms planning, strategic planning and execution.
• Positive and passionate attitude to inspire others, foster collaboration and gain trust.
• Ability to operate both strategically and tactically in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to multi-task, handle simultaneous tasks, excellent project management skills.
• A strong voice and point of view with interest in learning.
• Strong communication and presentation skills – ability to distill data and learning into easy to understand storytelling.