PURPOSE: The primary responsibility will be to conceptualize, design, quote, and provide project management of general industry tooling and part holding fixtures in the robotic systems engineering group. The ideal candidate has experience with holding fixtures (tooling) for weldments for primarily MIG and TIG applications. The Mechanical Engineer – Tooling & Fixtures will understand the needs of each application and coordinate among cross-functional teams including applications, sales, project management, and tool design teams to execute a successful tooling experience for each customer.
JOB DESCRIPTION (DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES):
- To maintain at all times an uncompromising attitude towards safety and quality.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment and work to milestone dates –project duration can be 4-16 weeks depending on complexity.
- Strong mechanical aptitude for engineering custom & prototype mechanisms
- Develop & quote tooling concepts for opportunities provided by sales team.
- Manage and support tooling orders from PO receipt to successful implementation on the customer floor.
- Interaction and involvement with related personnel during design, fabrication, integration, troubleshooting, and demonstration of equipment
- Interact with customer during development of tooling related products.
- Work closely with project manager(s) to coordinate timely delivery of tooling related deliverables for the robotic systems.
- Meet challenging project timelines and budgets (hours and material).
- Act as Engineering lead, designer, and detailer for projects individually, or as part of a team effort on larger scale projects.
- Assist in compiling related documentation, including drawings, loading diagrams, spare parts lists, manuals, and costing sheets.
- Design product that is in conformance with quote and customer purchase order.
- Provide technical assistance to estimating, sales, production and service as required.
- Work well in a team environment and communication interactions may include; Sales, End users, Machine builders, Project Management, Engineering Teams, Management, and support functions.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as needed or directed in support of the Company’s 2025 Strategy.
- Bachelors of Science in Engineering
- 5+ years of experience.
- Ideal candidates have 3 plus years of 3-D modeling & design experience and a degree in mechanical engineering or similar field. General Industry and/or manufacturing experience is required
- Must be self-motivated, organized, and possess a strong work ethic.
- Strong hands on problem solving skills with ability to design, build, and troubleshoot fixtures.
- Exposure to industrial and manufacturing equipment and experience with manufacturing processes including machining, bending, and sheet metal cutting and forming is desirable.
- Knowledge of pneumatics and sensors.
- Computer proficiency, including MS office & project management software.
- Project management experience.
- Proficient with at least one CAD/PDM package and willingness to learn others. Solid Works, Solid Edge, CREO.