Headquartered in Newark, California, Kaiam Corporation is a private company developing products based on hybrid photonic integrated circuits (PIC’s). These circuits are used in high bandwidth optical transceivers that transmit and receive multiple wavelengths of light in fiber optic networks. The company’s products are used in high-end routers and communications gear that power the backbone of datacenters or longer distance telecommunications. With R&D facilities in Newark, California, and volume production outside of Edinburgh in the UK, the company’s products are used internationally by tier 1 system integrators and data centers. Founded by leading technologists from the optical networking industry, the team has a record of delivering breakthrough approaches that change the rules of the marketplace. It is currently working with multiple partners to deliver PIC based products for various applications. For more information, visit www.kaiam.com.
About the Position
Kaiam is looking for a Mechanical/Packaging Manager with a proven record of product development in the fiber optics industry. In this role, you will lead a mechanical team developing innovative, state-of-the-art transceiver packaging enabling the world’s largest data centers. Qualified individuals should be familiar with requirements and design of pluggable optical transceivers for datacom/telecom applications.
A deep understanding of engineering and manufacturing of fiber optic components is essential. Experience with component qualification is also important, including Telcordia guidelines and MIL-Spec procedures. While this is a management role, the candidate must have deep engineering skills to guide the team.
- Hand-on management of a diverse team performing various engineering functions:
- Development of innovative transceiver packaging architectures that meet continuously increasing speed and density needs while continuously reducing costs.
- Thermal and structural analysis using simulation tools.
- Create and maintain transceiver system model, and exchange data with other subsystem designers: PCBA, optical components, etc.
- Design precision opto-mechanical parts and packaging for optical transceivers.
- Work with vendors to have custom parts fabricated.
- Evaluate and verify mechanical components.
- Carry out reliabilityqualification testing according to GR-468 and similar standards.
- Development of innovative processes for prototyping optical transceivers.
- Supervise and mentor team members, including setting goals and doing performance evaluations.
- Plan and track projects.
- Work closely with NPI and Production teams on manufacturability issues, and the successful ramp of new products to volume manufacturing.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 10 years of experience, or Master’s Degree/PhD with 6 years of industry experience.
- Experience in management of product development teams.
- Strong teamwork, verbal and written communication skills, design review and documentation practices.
- Experience with testing of optical packages and transceivers.
- Understanding of essential principles in semiconductor packaging.
- Knowledge of die casting, injection molding and sheet metal stamping.
- Familiarity with fiber optic processes and packaging equipment.
- Expertise in SolidWorks and othermechanical engineering software tools.
- Experience in structural and thermal simulation.
- Familiarity with DFM, six-sigma and process control methodologies.