The Mechanical Engineer Team Lead is a hands-on, technical role involving direct contact with products and significant influence on their design. This is a senior-level engineer capable of delivering robust designs that meet the project technical and schedule requirements. Candidates must be comfortable and competent in designing assemblies, building, and installing prototypes, validating and testing design concepts, and producing quality documentation for manufacturing.
Reporting to the Director of Hardware, this role is a fulltime, salaried position with benefits based in our Waltham, MA office. For more information about our benefits, please visit the benefits section on our careers page.
In this role you will:
- Act as a thought partner to the Director of Hardware, Chief Mechanical Engineer, Chief Product Architect, and various Project Leads.
- Act as a technical lead for various products and features.
- Mentor mechanical engineers and grow a vibrant, successful team.
- Understand, advocate, and facilitate each team member’s career progression and personal development.
- Design, test, validate, and release mechanical designs to the manufacturing team.
- Drive every project towards success by anticipating risks, planning well, managing dependencies, creating meaningful milestones and ensuring they are met.
- Work closely with Program Management organization to ensure the team’s resources are correctly allocated, and that progress is being communicated correctly and in a timely manner.
- Improve processes that increase the team’s velocity while also ensuring high quality of work.
What we are looking for:
- Track record of supervising engineers while fostering their growth.
- Strong engineering generalist with 5-7 years of professional experience.
- Comfort across design, project management, and engineering management, with 2+ years’ experience in these fields.
- Proven ability to work in a start-up or small company environment with a willingness and ability to adapt to change.
- Sensible, thoughtful, pragmatic advocate of internal process improvements and compliance.
- Scrappy, hands-on, and willing to dive into whatever unblocks team and drive success.
- Strong ability to identify, escalate, and mitigate risks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate information to any level within and outside of the company.
- Experience with robotics, industrial automation, or warehousing is a strong plus.