This position manages, guides, audits and coordinates the work of Mechanical Engineering team and support staff placing particular emphasis on developing new engineering solutions and products consistent with the appropriate time-lines and budgets. This position is responsible for overseeing the development of system architectures, participating and / or leading the design, tolerancing, and build of optics based instruments and assemblies. This position is required to support OEM business and the product development goals of the company, and to support ongoing production. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the discretion to add or change duties.
Reports To: Director of Engineering
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- In-depth understanding of mechanical and opto-mechanical principles and practices.
- Manages and consistently implements the Peer Design Review Process to improve the appropriateness, cost-effectiveness and accuracy of all departmental design activities.
- Direction and coordination of all Optical Engineering activities and personnel.
- Responsible for career pathing and development of Optical Engineering Team.
- Participates in proposal development, NRE estimates and technical statements of work.
- Ability to interface with customers to determine their needs, to present options and results in a manner consistent with good business sense.
- Working knowledge of GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) per ANSI standard.
- Ability to understand optical design requirements and translate them into corresponding mechanical designs.
- Expert knowledge of 3D modeling using CAD software (SolidWorks highly preferred).
- Work with Optical and Test engineers to generate top-down architecture design, conduct in-depth analytical trade studies of possible technical approaches, topologies, tools and architectures. Develop designs for components, systems and products utilizing product specifications as a starting point; perform functional and physical verification of the design.
- Provide detailed design and test requirements documentation for procurement and fabrication of optical and mechanical components. Provide accurate test requirements and support design/ verification of test fixtures.
- Assist the Test and Assembly Department personnel, as needed, to produce optical systems.
- Ability to generate accurate personnel, materials, schedule and budgets requirements in support of complex engineering proposals, and meet those estimates.
- Interface with opto-mechanical and CAD designers to define tooling and optical mounting, based on predicted worst-case optical tolerances.
- This job position requires compliance with ITAR Regulations. Therefore, all employees working in this capacity must meet citizenship status. Per the CVI Melles Griot Export Controls Policy and Procedure, the employee must be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident .
- Supports company values including ethical conduct and high integrity in all actions.
- Complies with health and safety policies and procedures.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrated high-level leadership and motivation skills.
- Demonstrates strong ability to effectively communicate with other departments, vendors, customers and employees.
- Has the ability to manage workloads and meet schedule requirements as priorities change.
- Ability to write technical reports in concise and accurate English.
- Ability to work with assembly and test technicians to develop and debug test procedures.
- Working knowledge of FEA analysis CAD tools (COSMOS, ANSYS) is an advantage.
- Lead - Dependent upon the Team Project.
Education/Training/Work Related Experience:
Fifth year college or university program certificate; B.S. in Mechanical Engineering; 8years related experience providing technical direction to a staff and their direct reports; or equivalent combination. Must be adept at collaborating with all functional groups within the organization building and maintaining these relationships.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to direct and motivate personnel to meet business objectives
- Demonstrate good leadership skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Knowledge of scientific, optical, electrical, chemical and mechanical terminology.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows based software, AutoCad and Statistical applications.
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work efficiently with multiple priorities
- Ability to conceptualize
- Familiarity with general provisions of ISO 9000
- Self-starter with a demonstrated ability to focus efforts, overcome obstacles and complete key objectives
- Innovative “out of the box” thinker that gets things done
- Occasional business travel