Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is a world leader of lasers and laser-based technology for materials processing, microelectronics, scientific, life sciences and medical customers. The light we deliver touches almost every aspect of human life-vision correction to cell analysis, precision welding to 3-D metal printing, gravity wave detection to brain research. Put your talents to work at Coherent where you can create and innovate enabling technologies that will push the frontiers of science and technology.
The Defense Engineering group has a need for a Mechanical Engineering Manager to lead a small group of Mechanical Engineers in the development of our high-power fiber amplifiers and related products. In addition to responsibility for mechanical design the MEM will drive standardization, best practices, and PDM. Successful candidates will be familiar with diverse materials and manufacturing processes, especially as they pertain to lightweight, rugged assemblies. This is a fast-paced, highly technical, and continually evolving product line with a rapid transition from R&D to production. We are looking for an energetic and self-motivated engineer to lead new design and product refinement. Responsibilities:
- Provide technical and functional oversight to a team of Mechanical Engineers.
- Conceive new designs that meet challenging customer needs
- Drive the group toward higher reliability designs
- Collaborate with Electrical, Optical, Manufacturing and Product Engineering Groups
- Provide analysis of critical elements as needed
- Support transition of products from research and prototyping, into manufacturing.
- Communicate progress to management and internal stake holders.
- Handle multiple products and projects.
- Balance Mechanical Engineering resources
- Function as a mentor for younger engineers
- Set goals, provide feedback, and conduct performance reviews.
- Assess hiring needs and develop talent.
- Ensure a safe work environment and cultivate safe behaviors.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience in a technical R&D or manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of heat transfer, vibration, fasteners, composites and optics strongly preferred.
- Direct experience with designing for high power fiber lasers strongly preferred.
- Manufacturing experience is a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and excel in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational, planning, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be eligible to obtain an active US Security Clearance.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.