Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Role location: Palo Alto, CA or Irvine, CA
- Own Mechanical design vision and engineering rigor in Electrical Hardware
- Drive physical innovation around vehicle architectures and electronic components across Rivian Consumer and Commercial Products
- Solve high impact problems balancing functional implementation, studio design, and packaging integration.
- Build infrastructure and enable engineers to push boundaries in electrical performance, material selection, volumetric efficiency, manufacturability, and reliability.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Engineering, and Supply Chain leads across the organization to own high-volume delivery
- Zoom Out and then Dive In, break down complex problems to identify issues and guide engineering resources to success.
- MS preferred / BS minimum in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics, or equivalent experience
- 14+ years of experience working in highly complex electromechanical systems, including components and harnessing.
- 8+ years leading high performing mechanical design teams
- Experience in high volume mass production
- Full stack experience taking products from concept to volume mass production
- Deep technical understanding of balancing volume, weight, power density, thermal density, and cost
- Deep understanding of materials, thermal solutions, and tradeoffs
- Expert level knowledge of different manufacturing, assembly, and tooling methods (Injection/cast /stamping/sintering)
- Expert level knowledge of CATIA V6 and PLM systems
- Strong knowledge of FEA simulation tools.
- Demonstrated Creative thinking and problem-solving toolbox.
- Experience in low and high frequency product design
- A-Surface design experience.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.