POSITION SUMMARY Independently, performs innovative complex mechanical design and development for new products from conception through production release and designs improvements for existing products. Responsible for successful completion of the design, testing, specification, documentation and qualification of products throughout the project lifecycle. Establishes and meets targeted project, timeline, cost and quality objectives. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Independently, creates innovative new product designs in response to new product concepts through development and initial production efficiently and effectively based on thorough knowledge of company strategy and needs and advanced design skills. Constructs and maintains new product timelines, which include required external resources. Additionally designs and develops improvements to existing products.
- Recommends manufacturing (MFG) and design fabrication/construction applicable to best practice. Troubleshoots design obstructions and provides cost effective solutions.
- Performs prototype design experimentation, rapid prototype and conventional prototype fabrication. Evaluates prototype design(s) for performance and reliability.
- Writes products specifications and provides prints documentation and testing verification methods to source and inspect the product. Ensures the product meets specifications and publishes testing results.
- Conducts and documents technical feasibility evaluations, qualifications field and competitive testing to verify the design. Formulates development, unit and tooling cost estimates.
- Performs advanced troubleshooting of mechanical design issues during development after the production start. Collaborates with various internal teams to resolve issues and ensure the development of a quality product that supports company and consumer needs.
- Produces project documentation that includes prints, engineering files, supplier communications and Engineering Change Orders (ECO’s).
- Assists operations and outside suppliers through new product development stages of new products with tooling, process methods, assembly plans and forecasting capacity requirements.
- Manages a variety of moderately complex to complex projects from concept, design, and through completion. Develops timelines and ensure project success by maintaining timeline targets, budgetresponsibilities and quality requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME), EngineeringTechnology (BSET) or equivalent.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5years’ experience in mechanical design engineering within consumer product design.
- Advanced proficiency in 3D CAD systems with productive skill sets to meet all facets of design.
- Advanced knowledge of material science with primary disciplines in plastic injection molding, die-casting and sheet metal fabrication and processes.
- Skills and ability to visualize the company’s strategy expectations and align the development team to meet goals.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with a variety of internal teams as well as external contacts.
- Advanced understanding of product development from concept through production which includes a core understanding of the new product process, financial modeling (EVA) and timeline management.
- Advanced skills in generating, designing and executing concepts into manufacturable designs
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to manage more complex projects from concept to completion.
- Johnson Outdoors work place is second to none and we have an environment that nurtures innovation and interaction. Our total compensation package is competitive with our local employment market.
- We are proud to provide our employees with an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, prescription drug coverage, life insurance, paid time off, profit sharing, and 401(k) with employer match.