5 - 7 years experience • Manufacturing / Diversified
Researches, analyzes, designs, and tests component parts, processes, or systems to develop new and/or improve core products. Develops and recommends solutions to engineering requirements for complex or specialized projects or systems, to ensure that design objectives are met, including program scope, cost and schedule constraints.
Works withengineering project or a cross-functional team within the business unit; and will have regular customer/supplier interaction.
1. Develops conceptual and detailed product specifications by analyzing performance and customer requirements. Investigates design factors such as function, materials, performance, interchangeability, cost (non-recurring and recurring), operational efficiency, and contractual requirements. May develop preliminary designs from customer input and descriptive information provided by others.
2. Applies scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure the outcome and consequence of design alternatives. Interprets and validates test results for accuracy and precision. Recommends product qualification procedures and parameters to achieve customer and product reliability and safety standards (e.g. failure analysis). May utilize and interpret predictive models to simulate and verify design concepts.
3. Provides technical information for review with product engineering teams using established engineering practices, standards, and documentation methods (e.g. structured design process; customer design reviews). Writes supporting documentation for procedures and technical reports; may write technical responses or proposals for customers.
4. Contributes to the completion milestones associated with specific projects (e.g. create functional diagrams and system layouts; review detailed drawings and schematics; define data structure, interfaces and programming logic; analyze material requirements; research customer data item requirements). Maintain efforts within defined cost and schedule constraints including statusing and root cause/corrective actions of associated variances.
5. Reviews product specifications to ensure clarity, completeness, form, fit, function, and conformity to standards and procedures. Identifies design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, and recommends revisions, engineering change orders, and improvements to engineering management or the project team.
· Bachelor's degree (BS) (or Professional Engineer (PE) certificate) in an engineering or science technical discipline.
· Ability to perform the essential functions of the job typically acquired through 5 to 10 years of related experience.
· Proficient with engineering design and analysis tools (e.g. computer aided design or modeling systems); ability to use standard software packages. May require capability using specialized software applications or languages.
· Experience with metals / metallurgy strongly desired.
· Proficient with standard project management tools and practices
· Ability to effectively communicate and present status, actions, recommendations, and other technical information with clarity and precision. Responsive to inquiries from otherengineering and business teams.