Staff Electro-mechanical Design Engineer in Illumina's R&D department will lead and contribute to the development of new, industry-leading genetic analysis platforms for life sciences and clinical markets. This engineer will be responsible for the mechanical and motion architecture and design of DNA sequencing equipment that includes complex optical, mechanical, electrical, chemical, and software sub-systems. The engineer will be responsible for participating in and coordinating cross-functional teams, developing plans, performing analysis, and innovating new technologies.
Job duties and responsibilities include:
- Design precision electro mechanical and fluidic mechanisms.
- Design advanced precision motion equipment for controlled applications.
- Work in concurrent, cross-functional teams. Actively seek out and collect input from stakeholders across supporting disciplines.
- Source components and interface with suppliers.
- Manage outsourced design and manufacturing relationships.
- Compare performance and cost of design options in a data driven manner.
- Create mechanical models and tolerance analyses to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
- Create schedules and manage actions to meet milestones.
- Perform risk analysis, develop test plans, and execute verification testing of subsystems and systems.
- Follow through on transfer of new products into manufacturing, track issues in manufacturing and the field, and implement resolution of issues.
- Candidate must thrive in a dynamic environment and place great emphasis on meeting milestones and breaking down barriers to achieve results.
Education and experience:
- BS/MS/PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or related and >7 years industry experience.
- Candidate must have experience in product development, transfer to manufacturing, and documentation.
- Prefer experience designing miniature mechanisms for medium to high volume manufacture, such as clutches, linkages and other power transmission components.
- Fluent in SolidWorks CAD software and one or more mechanical FEA packages.
- Experience in biomedical instruments, biological assays, and/or genetic analysis equipment is preferred.
- Experience in fluidic analysis including FEA is a plus.
- Experience in FDA regulated markets is a plus