The Propulsion Engineer is responsible to assist in the development of the propulsion design, analytical models, test activities, and data analysis required to support of various programs related to rocket engine development. This individual must have a strong working knowledge of propulsion system design, experience in development and verification disciplines, and able to perform engineering analysis and design. The ideal candidate will be experienced in the analysis, design, and development of rocket propulsion systems. Experience in liquid rocket engines, thrusters, and hybrid rocket motors is highly desirable. The SNC Propulsion team is loosely organized into four main teams: Design, Analysis, Test, and Facilities. While specialization in one area is welcome, many of our Propulsion Engineers are engaged across two or more disciplines.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Participate in the design of propulsion system components throughout the entire engineering lifecycle. These activities may include initial requirement determination, CAD modeling, hardware procurement, test article assembly/integration, prototype testing, and test data analysis.
- Develop and use analytical tools to develop custom propulsion system solutions. Analysis tools may include propulsion system models, thermal models, or structural models. These models may be used for predictive analysis, model correlation with experimental data, design group interfaces, production support, test support, and data reduction
- Assist in developing predictions for component- or system-level validation and verification events
- Create technical drawings and schematics for propulsion systems, individual propulsion system components, and propulsion test articles
- Generate specifications, control documents, verification and validation plans, procedures, and reports in support of design and development activities
- Work with other members of the propulsion team at one of our test facilities to implement operating procedures, resolve system issues and conduct test activities
- Prepare presentation materials and conduct periodic design reviews for internal and external customers
- Ensure conformance of products with engineering design and performance specifications
- Execute engineering design and development activities consistent with customer quality, cost, and schedule requirements
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems
- Estimate costs and submit bids for engineering development activities
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Punctuality to work each day and prepared to work scheduled work hours
- Understand, plan, and execute technical activities in accordance with SNC policies, procedures, and work instructions and specific customer requirements
- Other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Policies, Procedures, and Compliance regulations (internal and external)
- Responsible for timely execution of all personnel-related activities such as Time Sheet completion, Performance Evaluations, Salary Reviews, Succession Planning, etc.
- Responsible for leadership oversight and for ensuring Department/Team training
- Ability to travel occasionally required (<10%)
- Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities, as defined by management
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Requires a BS in Related Field (MS or PhD preferred)
- At least 6 years of experience in the aerospace industry with greater than that desired. Many of those years spent performing the responsibilities described in the job description is expected.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must.
- Must be independent with an ability to quickly reach a level where minimal supervision and direction are required.
- Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams
- Previous experience and skills in project definition, simulation, implementation, lab integration and test
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast paced environment with emphasizes in rapid prototyping and fielding of capabilities
- Must be comfortable interacting with a wide variety of people at various levels.
- Note: Ability to obtain/maintain a security clearance may be required. Existing security clearance is highly desirable.
- Experience in liquid rocket engines, thrusters, and hybrid rocket motors is highly desirable.