FUNCTION OF POSITION
Assist and/or lead the development of mechanical designs and/or concepts for spaceflight or ground support equipment that meets assigned specifications and requirements. Supports the mechanical integration of space systems or ground support systems in order to meet highly aggressive program schedules.
Drafts documentation, prepares specifications and presentation materials in accordance with established guidelines to meet customer schedules and budgets. Serve as a member of the mechanical integration team and/or as leader performing "hands-on" mechanical integration assistance and environmental testing tasks as required to meet program schedules. As task leader, will develop detailed estimates, define mechanical ground support required to support the integration activities and work with an integrated team of technicians and engineers in order to deliver hardware on time and within budget.
May also perform other duties associated within area of assignment as directed by lead personnel or management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform analysis, test, design, and development for engineering projects.
- Design, develop, and document components either hardware or software.
- Coordinate support from other areas such as optics, thermal, electrical, contamination control, etc., to successfully and safely accomplish the task.
- Analyze requirements for material, structural components, or functional system assignment. Release results as design data after review from other engineers.
- Develop and/or approve test procedures and/or WOA, test set-up, required instrumentation, test models, prototypes, subassemblies, and production components. Plan strategies for analysis, test and design used for task planning and execution. Document results of analysis, test, and design.
- Develop original ideas on preliminary design concepts with other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve the maximum ideal design. Prepare specifications and requirements.
- May also perform temporary duties in other areas or other duties associated with area of assignment.
NATURE OF POSITION CHALLENGES
Ability to adapt to weekend and holiday support on short notice and extended hours as required
Does not normally provide direct supervision to others unless assigned as a lead. Lead personnel are responsible for providing technical direction and organizing workload.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 8 years' experience in field (or 5 years of direct NASA related experience) is required or similar position complexity as determined by management.
- BS in mechanical engineering, Aerospace engineering, Physics, or a related degree from accredited university.
- Mechanical design experience and proficiency with associated software programs / packages is strongly desired
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions from lead, engineering or management.
- Ability to use own judgment and decisions to allow continuity of work flow.
- Must be self-motivated and a "Team Player" with good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to organize time, assignments and properly prioritize efforts for maximum effectiveness.
- Must be capable of passing required physical examinations and successfully completing assigned training or other required training or certifications as directed by ETIS II management.
- Proficiency in CREO and Windchill is highly desirable and familiarity with other software programs and packages is a plus.
- Ability to work with large models and experience with NASA requirements is highly desirable.
- Experience working with and understanding Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Works from ladders, scaffolding, catwalks, cranes, boatswain chairs, suspended platforms or cages, etc.
- Works while bending, standing, stooping, kneeling or in a prone position for extended times.
- Works in closely confined spaces.
- Lift and carry items up to 35 pounds.
- Pushes and pulls heavy objects.
- Ability to use hearing and vision protection and respiratory equipment.
- Ability to distinguish eight color panel display.
- Work indoors and out in high and low temperatures and in all types of weather conditions.
- Work in dusty, noisy, hot, high humidity, dirty and greasy environment.
- Work in areas where there may be materials that are irritating to eyes, nose, throat and skin while wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Work with other personnel in a group that is team-oriented.
- Accept and work within established policies and procedures pertaining to company rules and regulations.
- Work in cleanroom environments.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINES INVOLVED IN WORK TASK
- Desktop and/or laptop computers utilizing Microsoft Office Suite software including Word and Excel.
- 2. Familiarity with CAD software (i.e. Creo and Windchill) is highly desirable