Title: Mechanical Engineer, HVAC Design
Location: Corning, NY
Our client is a FORTUNE 500 leader in materials science with expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics.
Scope of Position:
Responsible for Precision HVAC Equipment Design within the Glass Melting and Forming Process, ranging from initial concept stage to final design approval and implementation, including fabrication and check-out at vendors, and follow-up to ensure that all quality, cost and safety requirements are met. Work includes support for plant expansions, along with continuous improvement projects and technology changes at equipment rebuilds/repairs.
Projects involved with: Display Technologies Process Environmental Design Process
Role within group:
- HVAC Mechanical System Design
- Project Coordination
- Project Management
- Individual Contributor on specific task or projects
- Project Leader on selective projects
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Participates on project teams as an individual contributor or as a project task leader.
- Receive direction or guidance from a senior department member(s) to develop/strengthen process environmental engineering competencies.
- Responsible for interfacing with project managers, supervisor, process personnel, along with dept SME to insure correct technology is being scoped and installed.
- Enclosure design work using accepted good airflow management design principles and HVAC principles
- Review as needed troubleshooting and problem solving exercises for enclosure systems
- Migrate standard enclosure design specifications, qualification documents, and installation practices
- Manage external suppliers of enclosure related equipment in Asia, for detailed technical design or installation work as required.
- Support and provide ownership of enclosures as a process tool
- Lead/Participate in existing and new facility modification.
- Maintain documentation integrity for all systems of responsibility.
- Conceptual design, detailed design, CAD drawing updates, presentation at design reviews, working with other designers and process engineers, interactions with plant sites, technical guidance on equipment, working with vendors on fabrication of equipment, and compliance with department standards and policies.
Travel Requirements: Approximately 50% travel, mainly in Asia.
Work Schedule: 40 hrs per week - periodic evening or morning conference calls, Work duration Project by Project Basis
- Mechanical, Engineering skills/experience
- HVAC Design and Best Practices
- Clean room Design and Operations Understanding
- Controls Experience
- Understanding Thermal dynamics Design (Heat Transfer, Heat Balance)
- Data Analysis
- Project management skills
- Experience with CAD software
- AutoCAD ?2D/3D ? capable of standalone design and drawing experience
- Sold Works ? capable of reviewing drawings and models
- AHU Design experience
- Capable of designing HVAC systems from concept to bidding
- Project leadership
- Capable of interacting with plant operators, contract vendors and leading the installation of proposed mechanical systems
- Construction Management experience
- Plant manufacturing Experience
- Experience working equipment vendors
Education and Experience:
- BS in Engineering (Mechanical preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in Mechanical or Equipment Design
- 5+ years of construction management experience
Salary Range: $90,000 - $100,000 plus
Full relocation to Corning, NY vicinity