At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
The Facility Buildings Division of HDR is actively seeking a highly talented Intermediate Mechanical Engineer for immediate full time employment in our Richmond Hill office. The responsibilities of this position include, and are not limited to:
- Be a key member of the mechanical design team responsible for design and construction of various facilities.
- Provide conceptual design at the early stages of the project and develop the concept to a high quality detailed design, coordinating with all disciplines,
- Design HVAC, Controls, Plumbing, Drainage and Fire Protection systems,
- Perform HVAC calculations and analysis using industry programs (ie. Carrier - HAP).
- Perform calculations, conduct design drawing reviews, and field investigations,
- Ensure design conforms with all applicable the codes and standards, and the client requirements,
- Write/ Edit mechanical specifications,
- Travel to construction sites to conduct mechanical inspections and prepare Site Visit Reports,
- Current projects maybe require occasional out-of-town travel,
- Participate in business development and writing proposals from concept to completion.
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent,
- 7 years of direct experience in a consulting engineering firm,
- Working knowledge of Carrier HAP
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Ontario or in the process to obtain
- In-depth knowledge of HVAC, hydronic systems, controls and co-generation systems
- Strong design knowledge in Plumbing, Drainage and Fire Protection systems,
- Well organized, self-directed work habits with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and schedule tasks, managing multiple projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment,
- Very strong communication skills, spoken and written; good presentation skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and AutoCAD.
Preferred Knowledge considered as an asset:
- Working knowledge of the LEED rating system, and other green/sustainability rating systems,
- Strong knowledge of and able to use Microstation,
- Strong knowledge of and able to use Revit BIM
At HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for; it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.