Harris Group offers unique opportunities to grow professionally by working across multiple clients, projects, engineering disciplines and industries while living in some of the best places in the United States. Our size and the number of industries we are focused on allow you to be exposed to many different projects across a wide array of clients. Our team works diligently to ensure our clients’ projects are completed with the utmost professionalism, teamwork and detail design. If you are a proven design professional looking to take the next step in your career and are ready join an exciting team with project diversity and professional growth opportunities, then Harris Group is for you!
Harris Group is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join our team in Lafayette, California or Thousand Oaks, California. This is an opportunity for a seasoned Mechanical Engineer, with the ability to be self-motivated to see a project through from the developmental stage through detailed design and constructionsupport, to perform assignments on a broad range of projects. The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for interpreting, organizing, and executing engineering assignments.
This involves exploration of mechanical engineering requirements, definition of scope, selection of problems for investigations, and development of concepts and approaches.
In addition, this role is responsible for acting independently on technical matters pertaining to mechanical engineering. This role guides design and may be a discipline lead on a project.
The position will require knowledge of one or more of the following areas: piping systems, including piping stress analysis; facilities utilities design with unique industry requirements; steam, hot water and chilled water heating and cooling systems; heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems; and plumbing systems.
Familiarity with process system design and equipment including pumps, fans, heat exchangers, cooling towers, boilers, chillers, conveyors and air handlers is also important.
This Mechanical Engineer primarily works with project staff within life sciences, aerospace, and industrial facilities, but may also work on projects within process industries, air and sea ports, energy, commercial development, and other business sectors. Internal and external training may be provided as necessary to increase proficiency and competency.
Supervision received is essentially administrative, with assignments given in terms of broad general objectives and limits. This role has a responsibility to mentor less experienced engineering and design staff and share knowledge. This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities but offers the opportunity for growth in that direction.
Essential Job Functions
- Define, organize, execute and coordinate mechanical engineering assignments.
- Plan, organize, and oversee the work of engineers, designers and administrative staff supporting those assignments.
- Serve as technical resource on complex design issues and advanced engineering theories, concepts, principles, and processes.
- Coaching and mentoring of junior staff.
- Represent Harris Group at meetings with clients, contractors, and subcontractors.
- Perform mechanical design, working with other members of the mechanical staff, and coordinate with other disciplines on specific projects.
- Prepare design calculations and documentation that support the project design basis.
- Prepare mechanical drawings, through the use of designers or drafters, and develop specifications.
- Field information gathering and surveying.
- Provide clients with assistance during construction, installation, commissioning and start-up of equipment and systems.
- Research, design and specify equipment, controls and processes.
- Shop drawing review.
- Coordination of design with vendor supplied equipment
- Oversight of development of equipment layouts and general arrangements.
- Prepare layout of systems.
- Preparation of construction bid packages and construction specifications.
- Assist in preparation and presentation of proposals, including scope of services and fee estimate. Support sectors with business development activities and proposal input.
- Coordinate the design process with the project schedule to ensure timely delivery of the design documents.
- Seal engineering documents in accordance with the State statutory requirements for the project site.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability and willingness to travel to an off-site location and/or accept client site assignments when required.
- Ability to pass Client badging and screening processes
Knowledge & Skills
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated competence in mechanical engineering.
- Ability to applymechanical engineering techniques commonly used in laboratory, life science and industrial capital projects.
- Ability to identify, interpret and apply relevant codes and standards to engineering designs.
- Leadership skills with the ability to work directly with existing and prospective clients, vendors, and constructors.
- Ability to use a computer and computer software programs related to the discipline, and Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with AutoCAD, CADWorx, or Revit, a plus.
- Knowledge of Caesar (preferred) or Autopipe pipe stress software, desired, but not necessary.
- Experience with Trane TRACE 700 preferred.
- Knowledge of PIPE-FLO preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to meet budgets and deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Educational & Work Experience
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from ABET accredited school
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) or eligible within 12 months of hire date.