GT Advanced Technologies is currently seeking an energetic, highly-organized Mechanical Engineer. This position performs moderately complex design, developmental and testing duties on electro/mechanical capital equipment, test apparatus and subsystems for new and existing products. Performs work in a team, with capabilities to be lead engineer for larger projects; applies principles and techniques of mechanicalengineering to accomplish goals; able to perform and take direction in a functional organization; able to provide mentorship for others in team; and able to work and set direction independently to meet program timelines. International travel will be required for this role.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs design, implementation and support of moderately complex electro/mechanical equipment, components and subassemblies for new and existing products.
- Selects new mechanical components to design systems.
- Participates in design meetings.
- Creates and maintains design history.
- Researches configurations and design methodologies.
- Assists with the development of qualification test procedures and carries out qualification testing.
- Conducts testing and integration testing for functionality and limits.
- Creates prototypes for beta testing and for customer demonstration.
- Prepares reports of results and conclusions for management.
- Ensures that vendors and contractors have the abilities and resources to support development.
- May collaborate with vendors on product specifications and component selection.
- Researches new technology or development tools to remain informed of current technology
- Read and interpret technical drawings, schematics, 3D models, and computer-generated reports.
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation.
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions or make product or process improvements.
- Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification.
- Estimate costs and submit bids for engineering, manufacture, and implementation.
- Write performance requirements and specifications for equipment and equipment components.
- Prepare contract documents related to equipment and component procurement, scheduling and delivery.
- Other duties as needed or assigned.
- Action Orientation/Initiative
- Strategic Agility & Planning
- Communication Skills (both written and presentation)
- Business Acumen
- Engineering Acumen
- The successful candidate will have a B.S.M.E. Required, M.S. Preferred
- 5+ years related experience
- 3D CAD experience, SolidWorks and PDM knowledge and proficiency a must
- MRP system experience using SAP
- Office automation experience including the use of spreadsheets for analytical and data evaluation
- Experience in large industrial equipment, pressure vessels or high temperature applications, preferred
- Good knowledge of mechanical theories, design principles and practices, and design evaluation techniques.
- Good communication and presentation skills to properly communicate information of moderate complexity to peers and members of the management team (up through senior management level) and some external contacts, such as vendors.
- International travel up to 25%.