General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
This position support the Sustaining Engineering group as a as an engineering lead for a given Integrated Product Team (IPT) or equivalent engineering project subsystem by evaluating and interpreting needs and problems and develops effective approaches to resolving those issues. The IPT Lead will be responsible for reviewing and evaluating system level and component level design and manufacturing solutions to ensure the product will meet performance, qualification, platform integration and best practices requirements. The IPT Lead shall mentor junior IPT engineers in the development of effective approaches to resolving design or fabrication issues including obsolescence, enhancements and manufacturability. The position supports the engineering staff by defining analytical approaches, reviewing the analysis, provides guidance for the engineering investigation and resolution of engineering problems of moderate scope and
complexity. The IPT Lead will beresponsible for reviewing, delegating and statusing planned and emergent engineeringsupportassignments normally accompanied by general instructions and suggestions. He or she shall outline possible approaches, sources or information, and potential problems to be encountered with work reviewed regularly for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy for assigned area of responsibility.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under minimal supervision with general instructions from an engineering manager, principal engineer or Chief Engineer:
- Work in a multi-disciplinary group with other Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Control Engineers, Software Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers to produce designs and prototype hardware for internal and external customers.
- Requires an individual with strong analytical-base design skills, performing failure analysis, trade studies, developing conceptual designs and maturing those designs into the production phase, often in an environment where requirements may change and cost and schedule pressures dictate an efficient approach.
- Requires a deep understanding of structural design, materials selection, appropriate selection and application of stress criteria, write technical reports, generate process documentation, participate in vendor selection and provide manufacturing and vendor oversight.
- Provides direction to manufacturing, test, subcontracts or technician staff.
- Leads the coordination all engineering activities between Design Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Procurement, Program Office, Material Planning, Configuration Management, Vendor and Customer stakeholders.
- Review technical documentation, document findings and implement solutions. Communicate results to Engineering and Leadership staff.
- Advises Management, Engineering and Program Office staff of work-in-progress status, material availability and potential design or production problems to ensure that personnel, equipment, materials and services are provided as needed.
- Works with Manufacturing Engineering and Project Management to resolve any design related issue impacting production and to improve product design.
- Provides non-competitive procurement and technical evaluations to support procurement decisions.
- Investigate and resolve first article and factory acceptance test issues to support the production schedule.
- Develop procurement documents and specifications, Statement of Work (SOW) documents and proposal support for engineered components and assemblies.
- Mentors junior level engineers.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, four or more years of experience with a master’s degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have an understanding for the mechanical design and analysis of custom high-energy, high-voltage, high- current pulsed power systems and energy storage systems.
- Must have an understanding of engineering concepts, principles, and theory with technical experience demonstrating the application of those concepts while ensuring safety and regulatory compliance. Must have strong analytical-base design skills, performing failure analysis, trade studies, developing conceptual designs, and maturing those designs into the production phase.
- Must have a deep understanding of structural design, materials selection, appropriate selection and application of stress criteria, write technical reports, generate process documentation, participate in vendor selection, and provide manufacturing oversight.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Good communication, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other professionals, the production of appropriate documentation, and the presentation of results to a limited internal audience.
- Demonstrates extensive understanding of manufacturing processes and procedures, planning and scheduling methods, budget management, negotiation and delegation.
- Demonstrates extensive understanding of test data analysis and failure analysis.
- Possess the ability to organize, schedule, and coordinate workloads to meet established milestones and budgets.
- Must be a team player with superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and interface effectively throughout all levels of the company.
- Must be proficient with MS Office and Project.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information, work independently or in a team environment and the ability to travel and work extended hours as needed.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US Security clearance.
An EIT (Engineer in Training) certificate or PE (Professional Engineer) license Experience with Earn Value Management System
Experience in defense program acquisition, shipbuilding, ship design, construction and repair Experience with electrical component design or control system hardware
Production and fabrication experience is a plus Machine design experience is a plus
Job ID#: 17828BR