As a Mechanical Engineer at Oculus Research, you will develop state of the art prototype structures, mechanisms, and solutions for next generation near to eye display (NED) and Imaging Systems to create transformative experiences. You will become part of a team exploring new concepts through analytical modeling and fast iterative prototyping. A wide range of approaches will be explored combining electrical, mechanical, optical, firmware, and software techniques. We want people who work well in teams; can brainstorm big ideas; work in new technology areas; able to drive a concept into a prototype; and can envision how a prototype could transition into a high-volume consumer product.
Starting with a broad scientific background, be willing to become a quick expert in a new area, and quickly build new prototypes using novel materials and/or by integrating structures in new ways leveraging a strong mechanical background. Frequently only one or two design facets will be new so you'll be in a supporting role; sometimes, the mechanics will be new and you'll be the star.
- Lead Mechanical Engineering activities in cross-functional team environment.
- Model, build, test, and refine prototypes while thinking about how it would scale to higher volumes.
- Participate on a research team providing advice/guidance/insights to your peers in your area(s) of expertise.
- Apply rigorous engineering and tolerance techniques to high precision design requirements in the areas of Optics, Mechanics, and Motion Control.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 8+ years of experience working on high precision ME designs in optics, mechanism, or mechatronics.
- Experience with GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) techniques and knowledge associated metrology approaches.
- Experience in Testing and analysis (FEA, Simulation).
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques (Machining, 3D printing, injection molding, etc.).
- Experience in 3D design modeling (SolidWorks is our standard) and physical prototyping.
- 10+ years of proven product design/prototyping and R&D experience, including full systems ownership.
- Experience defining and refining designs for wearable devices.
- Experience with mechanical and optiAcs metrology devices such as CMM, OMM, interferometry.
- Knowledge of optics component mounting, interfaces, and adhesive bonding.
- Knowledge of materials and structural modeling/optimization.