Corning Incorporated focuses on building a diverse global workforce where differences are celebrated, and employees feel safe bringing their “whole selves” to work. Our Diversity Network hosts 18 active and distinctive Employee Resource Groups. Employees have access to Allyship resources, podcasts, an internal video channel, digital learning series and trainings, all focused on building and celebrating global diversity and inclusion. Corning has been recognized as a leader in this regard and has been consistently recognized as a national employer of choice.
Scope of the Position:
- Do you want to apply your technical curiosity to build unusual solutions to business challenges? What about using your interest and ability to learn, develop, and advance your technical skills in mechanical design, process equipment development, robotics, material handling, and system integration? We want you as a member of our multi-functional engineering project team, working through all stages from concept generation and development, detail design/build, system integration, and start-up to support our manufacturing sites worldwide. Help be responsible for delivery of these solutions to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes.
- Work with project team members to solve difficult mechanical engineering and process equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop understanding of process and equipment design requirements
- Craft machine design specifications, error budgets, and mechanical design concepts. Design and follow construction of prototype and production process equipment, conduct proof of concept and prototype tests to validate design concept, collect and evaluate data, and make appropriate engineering recommendations
- Your focus will be on the design, system integration/debug, installation, and production start-up of process machines, machine components and material handling systems, and training of plant personnel
- Responsible for acquiring knowledge of assigned areas (tolerance analysis, component specification, process requirements, machine functionality, material selection, error budgets, etc.)
- Work with external machine builders, system integrators, and suppliers to successfully deliver assigned areas of responsibility to overall project team on-time, on-budget, and to meet process performance measures
- Support the generation of construction drawings (using 2D/3D software packages), installation drawings, and ensures that final drawing packages reflect as-built conditions and satisfies Corning drawing standards
- Report on project activities, status, and issues on a periodic basis to project & department leadership
- You should be capable of working in a team based environment and able to participate on a highly matrixed project team to execute project assignments, with minimal supervision
Education and Experience:
- B.S. / M.S. Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years in Mechanical Engineering