Under direct or general supervision, reports to the Central Complex Engineering Leader.
Responsible for general and specific assignments involving complex and novel types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures, equipment, and operating problems.
Employing diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices and devising new approaches to problems encountered, plans, schedules and coordinates detailed phases of major projects such as equipment design and development, materials tests, preparation of specifications, applications studies, analyses of system or process troubles, research investigations, system planning studies and preparation of technical reports.
Duties require a complete knowledge of accepted practices in the specialty area and a knowledge of principles and practices in related specialties, in order to resolve a variety of highly complex problems, such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of standard materials and difficult coordination requirements.
Has supervisory guidance only in terms of specific objectives and critical issues and has authority to make independent decisions on engineering practices and methods.
- Perform highly responsibleengineering work on the most complex problems and projects in a particular field of engineering such as civil, chemical, electrical, environmental and mechanical.
- Coordinates & executes technical investigations, engineering economic studies, operating studies, design, tests, long range plans, forecasts, cost estimates, computations, inspections, inventories and reports as may be required for the completion of assignments.
- Acts as project engineer on highly complex projects such as boilers, turbines, and major components of power plants.
- Directs the work of engineering and clerical personnel assigned who assist in specific projects.
- Counsels with customers regarding Company technical and commercial policies and the application of designs and equipment of moderate complexity, as assigned.
- Instructs and trains less senior or less experienced personnel on the technical aspects of their jobs, as assigned.
- Keeps informed on the latest developments and techniques pertaining to engineering and operating functions in the assigned field.
- Counsels with customers regarding Company technical and commercial policies and the application of highly complex designs and equipment, as assigned.
- Serves as a professional representative of the Company, as assigned.
- Directs the preparation of computer programs.
- Recommends and implements solutions to complex problems involving engineering, design, operation, and maintenance of plant related equipment.
- Maintain active relationships with OEM vendors to facilitate the exchange of data and strategic partnerships, in conjunction with Asset Management and Supply Chain leaders.
- Consult with Asset Management regarding OEM technical letters and major upgrade opportunities
- Four-yeardegree in Engineering from an accredited college/university.
- Degreed candidates must have a minimum of five years’ experience in a power plant environment.
- Strong computer skills to include Microsoft Suite
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and cooperatively with others as well as operate with minimum supervision
- Union experience
- Successful experience participating in and managing work team activities
- Experience in project management
- Results oriented, self-motivated, and able to work with limited direct supervision
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing business needs
- Effective organizational skills with commitment to deadlines
- Willingness and ability to learn/teach
- Ability to support a 24 x 7 operation