About the role:
We are seeking an outstanding Mechanical Engineer-Advanced Machining Technology to join our Manufacturing Systems Engineering (MSE) Group at 10x Genomics. This is a key position for the commercialization of consumable products associated with Next Generation Sequencing technology.
As part of the Engineering group, the candidate will be responsible for providing journeyman skill level manufacturing support to fabricate difficult to machine parts and assemblies. This is a multi-disciplinary position that will work closely with engineers, chemists, researchers, and R&D teams to assure that 10x implements world class solutions that advance human health.
This work will span from a research stage through a robust consumer product.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record in setting up and operating complex ultra-high precision CNC and conventional machine tools to manufacture high precision parts and assemblies.
What you will be doing:
- Program, set-up and operate world class ultra-high precision machine tools
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out advanced machining assignments and set task priorities.
- Perform math calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of materials to achieve ultra-precision dimensions, finishes, and design intent.
- Design and fabricate complex work holding fixtures to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes
- Operate high precision non-contact inspection equipment including laser scanning microscopes and white light interferometer
- Maintain cutter and stock inventory
To be successful, you will need:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering and 5 years experience
- Completion of an apprenticeship program in the machining trade or equivalent level of prior experience
- Have an intermediate knowledge level of SolidWorks
- Hands on direct experience with CAM software, 5 axis preferred
- Knowledge of ASME Y15.5M drafting standard (GD&T)
- Ability to perform and plan moderately complex machining operations with CNC machine tools and related manufacturing and measuring equipment (machining, planning, and estimating)
- Strong organizational skills to manage multidisciplinary projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and adapt to changes (e.g., priorities and timelines)
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to communicate effectively in a technical environment
Nice to have skills & background:
- Experience with Heidenheim TNC-640 controller and Hypermill CAD/CAM program
- Experience machining and measuring parts with tolerances at the 1um level
- Understanding of safety and safe working practices.
- Familiarity with environmental monitoring of temperature and manufacturing conditions (i.e. understanding of different sensors applications and limitations)
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.