The Mechanical Designer position is responsible for performing engineering design evaluations and preparing mechanical drawings and bill of materials to complete projects within budget and schedule. Mechanical Designers will work under the guidance of a Project Engineer or Engineering Manager.
Must have a strong mechanical aptitude and good knowledge of materials, economics, science, mathematics, engineering, and relevant laws and legal regulations. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential. The Mechanical Designer position reports to the Engineering Manager.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include, but are not limited to the following:
• Research, design, develop and test company products;
• Provide technical support for the manufacturing and service of company products;
• Develop mechanical concepts for product features and new product offerings;
• Assist other engineering personnel with their efforts as needed;
• Utilize extensive creativity, mechanical design ability, and good interpersonal skills;
• Design and coordinate the development of portions of equipment;
• Create design layouts, detail part drawings and BOMs;
• Perform basic calculations for design of components and selection of commercial items;
• Specify machine components, materials, and purchased parts;
• Conduct and/or participates in design reviews;
• Creates designs that are functional, safe, reliable, economical, serviceable, and marketable;
• Meets project deliverable milestones and goals;
• Provides technical support for the following functions:
o Sales – supplies information regarding design capabilities and function; may assist with application and special features.
o Manufacturing – may provide information and assistance with product issues; assembly and test products.
o Service – provides information and assistance to Field Service and Installation resources to correct field performance problems; provides technical information and advice for training and development of instruction manuals.
o Provide direction to internal and external resources on specific projects.
• Associate’s Degree;
o Will consider applicable or related experience in lieu of degree.
• Minimum of 3-5 years of machine design experience as well as basic mechanical skills;
• Minimum of 3-5 years of experience with AutoCAD software;
• Proactively attains a safe and healthy work environment for all employees;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Effective problem solving skills and a creative approach for new ideas;
• Solid work ethic and time management skills;
• Analytical thinking;
• Attention to detail;