Sr. Mechanical Engineer - Seating Systems
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer of Seating Systems in Tesla’s Interior Engineering Team, you will be responsible for design, release and launch of the complete interior system for future Tesla vehicle product lines. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class interiors in terms of form, function and luxury.
Commodities of particular importance include seating structures, mechanisms, foam, electrics packaging, trim and the integration of these commodities into the vehicle. You will utilize your expertise in one or more of these commodities and develop as a full vehicle engineer – designing and delivering systems rather than just components as you work with a lean and agile team of the best automotive engineers in the industry. You will report to the Manager of Seating Engineering and this position resides in Tesla’s Interior Engineering Team.
Along with Tesla’s vehicle engineering team, you will design, release and launch interior components and subsystems which are aligned with program product profile with responsibilities to include:
• Develop and execute interior system requirements for one or more of the aforementioned interior commodities.
• Achieve customer-driven interior system targets for luxury, function, cost and weight. • Establish interior system architecture and functional feasibility. • Participate in the iterative process with the Tesla design/styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost. • Implement processes and material selections to achieve world class execution of automotive interior craftsmanship and fit & finish. • Optimize designs with the appropriate analytical and physical assessments. • Complete and release interior components, sub-system and detail designs, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required (In-house designs are planned for most major commodities).
•Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the program.
•Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design. •Collaborate with key interior suppliers and to support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events. •Collaborate with cross functional teams within the Tesla Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement groups to ensure interior system manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability. • Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R’s.
• Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME preferred) with a minimum of 5years of experience in automotive interior component and subsystem engineering, demonstrating technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production and 3D modeling proficiency in CATIA v5.
• Automotive engineering with seating experience, lightweight materials is preferred
• Experience managing suppliers for product development.
• Have a good mix of designing a variety of materials (stamped, injection mold, etc.) and designing kinematics/ mechanisms.
• Understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering of premium luxury interior trim and systems and have examples or a portfolio of completed programs.
• Have in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve systems requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
• Strong proficiency in utilizing CATIA V5 is essential within an automotive product development environment
• Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering.
•Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the programs.
• Strong familiarity with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVP&R’s and other technical documents.
• Demonstrate an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout your career.