Our client a manufacturing leader seeks an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer. This individual will support the design, fabrication, assembly, and troubleshooting of custom automated equipment and systems for in-house manufacturing. In this role, you will apply your 3D CAD design expertise to customize systems and equipment.
Engineer will be a key team player as you:
- Develop industrialmechanical equipment designs based on project requirements.
- Perform engineering calculations, analysis as required. (strength, motion, weight, finite element analysis, fatigue, HP, etc.)
- Complete detailed fabrication packages, including machining drawings and associated bills of materials and may also prepare pneumatic and hydraulic diagrams and schematics.
- Review technical data, measurements and specifications from various sources and apply in developing appropriate design solutions.
- Provide guidance for tooling design and provide troubleshooting assistance for tooling operation and maintenance.
- Interface internally with the Engineering Staff, Mechanical Technicians, ElectricalTechnicians, Maintenance Management and Manufacturing to ensure designs and specifications meet the project needs.
- Provide technical support to vendors and Manufacturing for start-up and troubleshooting.
- Lead and assist in investigating equipment and tooling issues to identify root cause and develop corrective actions.
- Use Lean Management to develop equipment design with integral SMED features.
- Interact with vendors, project managers, and peers to gather requirements and facilitate completion of the project. Gather information to support the cost estimate of a project.
- Occasional travel to sites to finalize project requirements or assist in equipment start-up.
- Assist with conceptual equipment design layout as part of developing the project requirements.
- Accomplish tasks in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Make design modifications to support continuous improvement projects.
- Learn local, state and federal safety requirements as it applies to the design, fabrication and operation of industrial equipment.
Qualifications Leading to Success:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 5+ years?experience in Mechanical Design or Equipment Design. Experience with ANY of: hydraulic presses, pneumatic components, pick and place devices, or tool design
- Working knowledge of 3D CAD design (Solidworks mandatory)
- Working knowledge of equipment control systems design (PLC & Servo Control) and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing with emphasis on SMED.
- A PLUS to have design skills in ANY of: pneumatics, hydraulics, or robotics
- A PLUS to have precise measurements skills including machine assembly experience
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written and communication skills
- Must be organized with experience in project planning and project management
- Ability to make and follow plans/schedules
- Strong decision-making skills
- Strong logic and judgement skills
- Strong prioritization skills with attention to details
- Self-motivated and ability to work with limited supervision
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Occasional travelrequired